Re: [pianotech] Digest for pianotech@googlegroups.com - 2 updates in 1 topic

PianoFritz50

Feb 4, 2021, 12:03:39 PM2/4/21
to pian...@googlegroups.com
Joe... actually a series of Sine waves make up a square wave, triangle wave, sawtooth wave, etc... and a note struck on a piano does not have one sine wave, but a multitude of non-harmonically related sine waves (which I’m sure you are acutely aware of)...

For more info see Fourier

As to any software “Tool”, they are only as good as the programmer modeling them, vs reality.

Bill Fritz, retired St Louis PTG newsletter editor, BS Physics, MSEE in EM Theory

Sent from Bill Fritz's iPad

On Feb 3, 2021, at 9:40 PM, pian...@googlegroups.com wrote:

Don <pian...@yahoo.com>: Feb 03 07:28PM

Hi,
I bumped into this on one of the tuning groups on face book:
Temper Tool
Temper Tool

| |
Temper Tool

Regards,
mailto:pian...@yahoo.com http://www.donrose.ca/
Box 37181, Regina, SK S4S 7K4
306-539-0716
Joe Garrett <joega...@earthlink.net>: Feb 03 01:59PM -0800

Don,

Oh joy. Another internet tinker toy. Problem being with the whole concept is: 1. It's digital, (ie square wave), as opposed to the fact that we are dealing with synwaves! 2. It is limited in it's harmonics and range of inharmonicity. Subtones are definitely missing.

Yes, it would help for initial ear training. And, the person responsible for this gave a good disclaimer.

Best,

Joe

I bumped into this on one of the tuning groups on face book:

Temper Tool

Temper Tool

Temper Tool

Regards,

Don Rose, B.Mus., AMUS, A.MUS., RPT

mailto:pian...@yahoo.com http://www.donrose.ca/

Box 37181, Regina, SK S4S 7K4

306-539-0716

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pianotech/365701917.2157167.1612380502749%40mail.yahoo.com.

Captain of the Tool Police

Squares RI

gpianoworks.com

Joe Garrett

Feb 4, 2021, 2:40:52 PM2/4/21
to pian...@googlegroups.com
Bill,
I bow to your greater wisdom of such things! I don't have all the alphabet soup after my name, so only speak in a general sense, as it applies to the woeful sound that comes out of most electronic media as compared to live performance of acoustic instruments.Hence, my comments.<G>
I have learned something today, that I did not know, so am thankful for that. Now, if you would please, tell me what the " MSEE in EM Theory" mean?
Best Regards,
Joe

PianoFritz50

Feb 5, 2021, 11:52:25 AM2/5/21
to pian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joe... the MSEE in EM Theory means I spent a year & a half in Grad School, the information of which 1) got a better job than without it, but 2) I’ve used less than 10% of the time over the past 47 years!... THAT as opposed to learning as we go, like you have so admirably done and continue to share. Thank you, Joe & others, who help w our continuing education!!!

PS Masters in Science - Electrical Engineering in ElectroMagnetic (Field) Theory

Sent from Bill Fritz's iPad

PianoFritz50 <pianof...@aol.com>: Feb 04 10:03AM -0700

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourier_series

Joe Garrett <joega...@earthlink.net>: Feb 04 11:40AM -0800

[...]