Wrap:Core String Winding Guidelines

Regi Hedahl

May 23, 2021, 1:27:33 PM5/23/21
to pianotech
How far have you been able to push the Wrap:Core ratio when having new bass strings made?  I have gone as far as 5.6:1 for double windings but was wondering if it can be pushed any larger?

One time I tried to have bass strings made with a Wrap:Core ratio of 7:1 and the string winder refused to make them.  LOL!!

Here's what I found from the PScale manual:

General string winding guidelines hold that it is preferable if Wrap:Core ratios do not exceed 3:1 for single wound strings and 5:1 for double wound strings. In other words, a core of .045 should not have an outside copper wrap diameter greater than .135 on a single wound string (.045 * 3 = .135). The Pscale automatic scaling routine will break the rule by one core diameter size if necessary while lowering inharmonicity.

The key word here is preferable: The last time I checked notes 1 - 10 on a Steinway Model S baby grand they were single wound strings with wrap:core ratios between 3.5:1 and 4.1:1. Simply put, Piano Makers break the wrap:core ratio guidelines and so do I.

-Regi

Piano Forte Supply

May 24, 2021, 1:38:41 AM5/24/21
to pian...@googlegroups.com
Quote:"
The last time I checked notes 1 - 10 on a
Steinway Model S baby grand they were single wound strings with wrap:core
ratios between 3.5:1 and 4.1:1.

I couldn’t remember seeing a short piano like a S&S model S with single would bass strings in notes in the low bass.
I don’t have an S handy, but the Steinway Service Manual tells me that note 1 - 7 in an S are double wound.

Jurgen Goering

Stephen Powell

May 24, 2021, 5:40:54 AM5/24/21
to pian...@googlegroups.com

Hi Regi,

I don’t tend to go higher than about 3.3:1 for single wound and 5.5:1 for double wound.  When you get up into the higher ratios, winding a thick wrap around a thin core is a bit like trying to drive a bus round a roundabout! I’ve heard plenty of heavy single wound strings (Steinway) rattle; it’s ridiculous scaling – they should be double-wound.  In my experience the double-wound strings sound better.  And you can detect the increase flexibility as soon as it comes off of the machine!

Regards,

Stephen

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Joe Garrett

May 24, 2021, 10:29:47 AM5/24/21
to pian...@googlegroups.com
Jurgen,
You are working with a recent "manual" probably. Lots of changes have taken place in S&S "Manual(s)" over the years.
Most bass strings in the low bass, pre - WWII were single wound stings. The tone is definitely different than double wound strings fyi. Classic example is the K-52. All bass/tenor strings are single wrap. Great lower bass sound imo.
Best,
Joe

On May 23, 2021, at 9:40 PM, pian...@googlegroups.com wrote:

Regi Hedahl <piano...@gmail.com>: May 23 10:27AM -0700

[...]