odd agraffes

88 katselukertaa
Siirry ensimmäiseen lukemattomaan viestiin

William Monroe

lukematon,
29.1.2016 klo 11.22.1329.1.2016
vastaanottaja pian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Folks,

I've got an old M&H grand and the agraffe stems are (as close as I can tell) 7mm x 0.75.  The stems actually mic out closer to 9/32" diameter, but the threads are dead on with a metric thread count gauge at 0.75 so I'm guessing metric dia. as well.

Actual measurement is .280" or 7.1mm

I was hoping to replace these with new but have been unable to find anything available.  And because they are larger in diameter than anything else available, the option of drilling out and re-tapping for a common size is unavailable unless I were to fill first.  I'm unfamiliar with that process so haven't given it serious consideration yet.  Any suggestions for a source of new ones or does anyone have some extra used ones in case of breakage?

The old ones came out fine and I'll plan on re-installing them, but I'm always nervous about using the old agraffes again, especially after extraction/re-installation.  One never knows what the structural integrity of these will be in the long term.  I'm at least happy that because the diameter is larger than anything commonly produced today it will add (at least in some small way) a little more strength in the stem.

William R. Monroe
www.a440piano.net

Ron Nossaman

lukematon,
29.1.2016 klo 11.46.1329.1.2016
vastaanottaja pian...@googlegroups.com
> www.a440piano.net <http://www.a440piano.net>

Here is where someone always suggests Helicoil, but they won't work on
any agraffe and particularly not on these.

They're 9/32-32. Joel Rappaport told me many years ago that he was
having some made, but I haven't heard a word since. I'd buy Pianotech's
inserts, and use standard agraffes. The stem of modern 1/4" agraffes is
nearly unbreakable. The ONLY reason we have broken agraffes in the old
Steinways is because the stems weren't threaded all the way, and the
agraffe never seated properly.
Ron N

Dale Fox

lukematon,
29.1.2016 klo 12.18.1829.1.2016
vastaanottaja pian...@googlegroups.com
https://www.pianoteksupply.com/product/484/Universal-Agraffe-Inserts-100.aspx

Bill,   this is a link to PianoTek's agraffe inserts.  They also sell the appropriate tap for the inserts.  I have done this on several M&Hs that were getting complete remanufacuring.  The hardest thing to do is to get the angle correct when drilling before tapping,which is not all that hard as you can insert a dowel or drill bit in an adjoining, as of yet, not drilled hole, for an angle target.  Agraffe holes are rarely plumb.

Ron, I have replaced 4 broken ones in Steinways in the past 6 months.  All were 7/32. None were threaded to the top.

Dale Fox

> Subject: Re: [pianotech] odd agraffes
> To: pian...@googlegroups.com
> From: rnos...@cox.net
> Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2016 10:46:04 -0600

Joseph Garrett

lukematon,
29.1.2016 klo 12.25.3229.1.2016
vastaanottaja pian...@googlegroups.com
Dale,
I'd suggest a drill press approach rather than drilling free hand. For me I use the same fixture that I use for drilling pinblocks in the piano. That way you get better angle consistency.
Best,
Joe

Captain of the Tool Police
Squares R I
gpianoworks.com

Ron Nossaman

lukematon,
29.1.2016 klo 12.30.1229.1.2016
On 1/29/2016 11:18 AM, Dale Fox wrote:

> Ron, I have replaced 4 broken ones in Steinways in the past 6 months.
> All were 7/32. None were threaded to the top.

Yep, that's the only reason they break.
Ron N

Mike Spalding

lukematon,
29.1.2016 klo 12.43.4929.1.2016
vastaanottaja pian...@googlegroups.com
Hi William,

Been there.  1926 M&H A, agraffe broke when I reinstalled it, destroying my confidence in all the old agraffes.  I couldn't find replacements with the same thread.  Ended up using Pianotek "universal agraffe inserts" http://www.pianoteksupply.com/product/484/Universal-Agraffe-Inserts-100.aspx  The most difficult part of the process was drilling out the plate  - it's hard to keep the drill aligned with the original hole.  If there is a next time, I will a) do the drilling before refinishing the plate, and b) drill in several stages with small increases in drill size.

Good luck, and if you find a better solution, let us know.

Mike

On 1/29/2016 10:22 AM, William Monroe wrote:

Ron Nossaman

lukematon,
29.1.2016 klo 14.36.5029.1.2016
On 1/29/2016 11:43 AM, Mike Spalding wrote:

> The most difficult part of the process was drilling out the plate - it's
> hard to keep the drill aligned with the original hole. If there is a
> next time, I will a) do the drilling before refinishing the plate, and
> b) drill in several stages with small increases in drill size.

I think I'd be tempted to do some careful grinding on a 21/64" bit to
make a pilot to align to and follow the original hole. It could be
cleanly drilled in one pass that way.
Ron N

Terry Farrell

lukematon,
29.1.2016 klo 16.24.0829.1.2016
vastaanottaja pian...@googlegroups.com
Ron - can you expand on your suggestion of grinding a bit into a pilot point? I have to admit that my machinist expertise is wanting at best. Wouldn’t your basic straight angled bit tip follow a hole very well? Are you suggesting to make a pilot tip that just fits into the original threaded hole? I can image if one were to do that then indeed it would follow the original hole perfectly.

I love drilling cast iron - I find it very satisfying!

Terry Farrell

Ron Nossaman

lukematon,
29.1.2016 klo 16.53.0229.1.2016
On 1/29/2016 3:24 PM, Terry Farrell wrote:
> Ron - can you expand on your suggestion of grinding a bit into a
> pilot point? I have to admit that my machinist expertise is wanting
> at best. Wouldn’t your basic straight angled bit tip follow a hole
> very well?

It depends on the relative size of the pilot hole to the finished size.
This would be about 0.060" or so different. It seemed to me that might
be enough to make it touchy. Maybe not, without trying it.

> Are you suggesting to make a pilot tip that just fits into
> the original threaded hole? I can image if one were to do that then
> indeed it would follow the original hole perfectly.

Yes. I'd use a slightly smaller bit than the Q pilot for the tap,
assuming my grind wouldn't be exactly concentric.

> I love drilling cast iron - I find it very satisfying!

As long as you steepen the cutting angle a bit so it doesn't grab and
auger in, yes. It's nice stuff to drill - until you hit sand pockets and
those really hard spots. Then there's getting rid of all the graphite
and toxic dust. My perpetual sinus curse sure doesn't like it, and Loui
isn't real pleased with the black footprints in the house either.
Ron N

Ron Nossaman

lukematon,
29.1.2016 klo 21.44.3329.1.2016
On 1/29/2016 10:46 AM, Ron Nossaman wrote:

> They're 9/32-32.

Sorry, I just remembered that I misremembered, remember? They're
9/32-34. Odd that I'd forget something that critical, but there you go.
Ron N

Joseph Garrett

lukematon,
29.1.2016 klo 22.35.0929.1.2016
vastaanottaja pian...@googlegroups.com
Ron,
Would that be one of those thread sizes that used be around before WWII?
Best,
Joe

Captain of the Tool Police
Squares R I