repairing a sustain pedal support

Don

Apr 18, 2022, 8:51:07 PM4/18/22
to Pianotech
Hi,

I have a client where one of the three sustain brackets has broken.

Suggestions for repairs for this?

Regards,
mailto:pian...@yahoo.com http://www.donrose.ca/
Box 37181, Regina, SK S4S 7K4
306-539-0716

Mark

Apr 18, 2022, 9:21:56 PM4/18/22
to 'Don' via pianotech

If it's one of the curved metal brackets that attaches to the bottom board and the pedal mechanism, the part can be purchased through Schaff or Pianotek.

It's a pretty simple, remove the broken and replace with the new, project. Kind of hard to crouch down under there, though.

Good luck.

Mark.

Don

Apr 18, 2022, 9:38:36 PM4/18/22
to pian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark,

It is the L shaped hanger that is broken off flush with the sustain rod.

Regards,
mailto:pian...@yahoo.com http://www.donrose.ca/
Box 37181, Regina, SK S4S 7K4
306-539-0716

Mark

Apr 18, 2022, 10:15:05 PM4/18/22
to 'Don' via pianotech

Oooooh! Ouch! No idea. Good luck.

Mark.

Paul McCLoud

Apr 18, 2022, 10:37:12 PM4/18/22
to pian...@googlegroups.com

Hi Don:

Is this a grand piano or upright?  Not sure what  sustain bracket is..  is it like the pedal brackets on an upright?  I'm a bit confused.  Photo?

Thanks.

Paul

Don

Apr 18, 2022, 10:46:53 PM4/18/22
to pian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paul,

A Kawai 50 inch upright.

There is a rod that lifts all the damphers.

There are 3 "hangers". One has broken flush to the rod.

Regards,
mailto:pian...@yahoo.com http://www.donrose.ca/
Box 37181, Regina, SK S4S 7K4
306-539-0716

Stephen Powell

Apr 18, 2022, 11:38:23 PM4/18/22
to pian...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

This needs to be drilled out and a new one soldered in.  An easy job for a machinist if you’re not set up for it.

Regards,

Stephen Powell, RPT

Sent from Mail for Windows

Paul McCLoud

Apr 18, 2022, 11:46:49 PM4/18/22
to pian...@googlegroups.com

Oh!  Yes, of course.  If there's a way to drive it out (if the rod is drilled all the way through), you can get a replacement rod pin.  I have used a torch and silver solder to install a new one.  If need be, you can drill the old one out, though probably not so easy to get it exactly in the same line as the other two.  But then you can bend it to match the others.  It's do-able.  I would not use glue to hold it in place, IMO.  Schaff has damper rod pins (unbent it appears)  #545, which look like you just have to drive them into the rod (has flutes like for pedal pivot rods).  Then you wouldn't need to solder them.  The catalog lists them per 100, just enough to last for many lifetimes of piano repair.

Good luck.

Paul McCloud

San Diego

Dale Fox

Apr 19, 2022, 7:30:28 AM4/19/22
to pian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Don,

Since it's a Kawai, you might try giving Kawai a call.  They will almost certainly have them and might even have a suggestion or two for replacement

Dale Fox RPT

Cameron, NC

Oh!  Yes, of course.  If there's a way to drive it out (if the rod is drilled all the way through), you can get a replacement rod pin.  I have used a torch and silver solder to install a new one.  If need be, you can drill the old one out, though probably not so easy to get it exactly in the same line as the other two.  But then you can bend it to match the others.  It's do-able.  I would not use glue to hold it in place, IMO.  Schaff has damper rod pins (unbent it appears)  #545, which look like you just have to drive them into the rod (has flutes like for pedal pivot rods).  Then you wouldn't need to solder them.  The catalog lists them per 100, just enough to last for many lifetimes of piano repair.

Regi Hedahl

Apr 19, 2022, 2:53:58 PM4/19/22
to pianotech
Don,

I drilled the stub out and inserted a nail.  Time will tell how long this works.

PXL_20211113_030242228.jpg

PXL_20211114_233815014 (1).jpg

Regi