Backlight on LCD

Bryce Renninger

Oct 4, 2015, 8:39:27 PM10/4/15
to Pi4J
Hello all,

I am trying to activate the back light on my 16x2 LCD by adafruit. I finally was able to get text to add to the screen, but the backlight will not turn on.

Does anyone have a solution to this? For right now all I am using is the WiringPiLcdExample in the examples folder.

Any help would be very great full!!
Thanks
Bryce

Jim Beagleymn

Oct 8, 2019, 8:04:44 AM10/8/19
to Pi4J
Hi Bryce.
What did you have to do to get the WiringPiLcdExample to talk to the Adafruit i2c display?  Mine is totally unresponsive :-(
Cheers,
Jim

Andrew Chandler

Feb 24, 2020, 10:46:00 AM2/24/20
to Pi4J
Usually on those 16x2 lcd boards there is a jumper you jump to turn on the backlight.   Otherwise if you don't use that you have to run 1 of the pins from that jumper to a  IO pin that you use to toggle it on / off

Frank Delporte

Feb 24, 2020, 11:01:39 AM2/24/20
to Pi4J
I've used an LCD 16*2rows 1602A-module for my book https://leanpub.com/gettingstartedwithjavaontheraspberrypi/
In that case you need to use two additional connections with pot-meter to control both character and backlight brightness.