Is Pi4J still in active development?

Hamid Moazed

Mar 24, 2020, 9:35:23 AM3/24/20
to Pi4J
There have been no commits in over six months, no mention of RPi 4 support, and no recent comments... is this project abandoned?

Daniel Mårtensson

Mar 24, 2020, 9:39:01 AM3/24/20
to Pi4J
Nope. Still under development.

But the C library WiringPi is deprecated. Pi4J is just an interface for Wiring Pi.

So the dev-team of Pi4J need to find another C code core.

Brian Williams

Apr 3, 2020, 11:53:53 AM4/3/20
to Pi4J
Is there a way for me to move beyond this?

Thanks, Brian

pi@RPi-JMRI:~ $ gpio -v
gpio version: 2.50
Copyright (c) 2012-2018 Gordon Henderson
This is free software with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
For details type: gpio -warranty

Raspberry Pi Details:
  Type: Unknown17, Revision: 01, Memory: 0MB, Maker: Sony
  * Device tree is enabled.
  *--> Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.1
  * This Raspberry Pi supports user-level GPIO access.

pi@RPi-JMRI:~ $ gpio readall
Oops - unable to determine board type... model: 17
pi@RPi-JMRI:~ $

Frank Delporte

May 19, 2020, 11:22:53 AM5/19/20
to Pi4J
There is a gpio version 2.52 which is compatible with Raspberry Pi 4

$ gpio -v
gpio version
: 2.50

$ cd
/tmp
$ wget https
://project-downloads.drogon.net/wiringpi-latest.deb
$ sudo dpkg
-i wiringpi-latest.deb
$ gpio
-v
gpio version
: 2.52

See http://wiringpi.com/wiringpi-updated-to-2-52-for-the-raspberry-pi-4b/

Paula Gearon

May 20, 2020, 7:01:32 PM5/20/20
to Pi4J
Hi,

I'm guessing that the core to use is libgpiod?

Has this been started, and if so, is there discussion on what's happening please? I haven't done programming at that level for a long while, but I may be able to contribute.

If it's not through libgpiod, then is there another codebase that is being considered?

Thanks in advance,
Paula

Robert Savage

May 21, 2020, 11:01:13 AM5/21/20
to pi...@googlegroups.com
I have not been able to work on this project since October of 2019.  The last efforts were a major upgrade to Pi4J abandoning WiringPi and moving to alternative underlying libraries, most notably PiGpio.

You can see/try the latest version here:  https://github.com/Pi4J/pi4j-v2

And here is a sample project I created demonstrating the use of this new Pi4J version 2.0 for a talk given at JavaOne 2019.

It's all still pretty rough and needs a lot more work before it can get released.

Thanks, Robert

Jim Darby

May 21, 2020, 1:57:51 PM5/21/20
to Pi4J
I have just started using the V2 library on the latest Raspbian. It has the major advantage of being on Java 11 so it more of less just works. I've foudn it can segfault if you use pigpio directly, however using pigpiod and connecting via a socket both works great and means you don't have to run as root.

Jim.

Daniel Mårtensson

May 21, 2020, 2:01:55 PM5/21/20
to Pi4J
Hi!

The development team should write a tutorial how to contribute and help with the Pi4J project.

Many users don't know how to join the development team because they don't know here to start in the code or don't know how the project is organized.

Frank Delporte

May 29, 2020, 6:10:32 PM5/29/20
to Pi4J
Hi Daniel, working on it! :-)