Raspberry Pi 4 Support

MarkyMark

Jul 13, 2020, 5:59:39 AM7/13/20
to Pi4J
Hi,

I was just swapping out my Pi 3 for a Pi 4. Then got to realise that WiringPi has been deprecated :(

Looks like softpwm isn't working on Pi4 from pi4j at the moment - just wondered what the release/support plans are?

Thanks

Mark

Frank Delporte

Jul 13, 2020, 6:18:35 AM7/13/20
to pi...@googlegroups.com
Hello Mark, which version of WiringPi or you on? There is a version 2.52 which was still made for the Pi4, but  not sure if it has anything to do with softpwm support.

Besided this, we are working on a complete new Pi4J version (aka V2) and there is - as we speak - testing ongoing on what can be done with soft- versus hardware PWM.

Frank

MarkyMark

Jul 15, 2020, 2:45:42 AM7/15/20
to Pi4J
Hi Frank,

Many thanks - it was in indeed WiringPi version was too old - I was on 2.50, upgrading to 2.52 works.

I'm going to look into Pi4J V2 however - what is the rollout plan for it?

Kind Regards

Mark

Frank Delporte

Jul 15, 2020, 4:33:53 AM7/15/20
to Pi4J
No fixed release plan... working on it, that's all we can promise ;-)

Andrew Chandler

Jul 15, 2020, 10:53:37 AM7/15/20
to Pi4J
I'd like to suggest we setup a hub or library to hold user contributed Device support for the new PI4J that is separate from the main project.   I feel like the number of implementations was a strength of the older pi4j library but I understand wanting to separate it from the core library.   Generally I think it will be easier to get multiple contributions though to these device implementations.    I don't know how we would organize such a thing though.    It would be nice if there was a single landing page with an index to go to though as opposed to just searching github for individual projects

Frank Delporte

Jul 15, 2020, 5:06:58 PM7/15/20
to Pi4J
@Andrew indeed some rough first ideas
Frank

Andrew Chandler

Jul 20, 2020, 11:37:50 AM7/20/20
to Pi4J
hmm ok - examples are wonderful but I was thinking more along the library of implementations for talking to the devices provided by the community.   Something you could include via maven or whatever package manager is being used and it just gives you an api for the device.   Easiest example would be a i2c temp sensor or an i2c lcd    - you find it on the community site include it in your project alongside the PI4J core and you can send text to the lcd simply and easily instead of needing to copy paste the stuff that knows how to send the bytes over i2c.      Maybe I'm wrong its been a while since I looked at PI4J v2 so it may not lend itself to building this sort of thing.