WaveShare Driver - Compute Module 3

SaintMulligan

Mar 4, 2018, 11:57:24 PM3/4/18
to Pi4J
I'm considering moving a project built on the RPi3 and pi4j to the Waveshare Compute Module 3 IO Board at: https://www.waveshare.com/wiki/Compute_Module_IO_Board_Plus It has multiple hardware components I need such at dual camera and built in Arduino.

My issue is that I've written all of the control in Java with pi4j and there is no support. Can anyone speculate on the effort required to write a driver for a new board? It has significantly more expansion pins than the stock RPi3, but I'm a software engineer with limited hardware background. I'm not sure how much hardware knowledge is needed and also how open and extendable the driver is for the RPi compute module IO board is. https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/compute-module-io-board-v3/

Thanks for any insights or pointers.