Camera Module - Why does not exist on PI4J?

Santiago Lovera

Mar 18, 2019, 8:44:41 PM3/18/19
to Pi4J
Hello. I am new to raspberry but I have some experience in java. I was glad to know that there is a library for java in pi, it seemed quite mature and stable. I watched Professor Robert Savage's lecture on youtube and figured there was a camera GPIO. I searched in the documentation and even in the javadoc and after seeing this thread of doubt about camera "https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/pi4j/camera%7Csort:date/pi4j/AljSajt8ESg/KK6tg7nzDAAJ" I can not understand why we do not have this feature yet? Would someone please tell me the reasons?

Paul Bender

Mar 18, 2019, 9:44:07 PM3/18/19
to Santiago Lovera, Pi4J

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 18, 2019, at 8:44 PM, Santiago Lovera <santiag...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello. I am new to raspberry but I have some experience in java. I was glad to know that there is a library for java in pi, it seemed quite mature and stable. I watched Professor Robert Savage's lecture on youtube and figured there was a camera GPIO. I searched in the documentation and even in the javadoc and after seeing this thread of doubt about camera "https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/pi4j/camera%7Csort:date/pi4j/AljSajt8ESg/KK6tg7nzDAAJ" I can not understand why we do not have this feature yet? Would someone please tell me the reasons?

The camera module is not a General Purpose IO module.

I have only used the pi’s camera from C using OpenCV.

I see there are a few java libraries for accessing the Pi camera.

I have not tried any of them, but here are a few you can try:

OpenCV can also be used with Java:

Paul

Robert Savage

Mar 18, 2019, 11:13:42 PM3/18/19
to Pi4J
Paul is correct,

Pi4J is focused on providing Java programmers access to the raw I/O communications layers of the platform including GPIO, I2C, SPI and SERIAL (RS232/TTL) interfaces.
In fact moving forward we are going to start scaling back on some features in order to provide better support and more frequent releases.

Thanks, Robert