Announcing the George B. Moody PhysioNet Challenge 2022

PhysioNet Challenge

Feb 1, 2022, 8:18:16 AM2/1/22
to physionet-challenges
Dear Community,

We have two big announcements today. First, at last year’s Computing in Cardiology (CinC) Conference, the Board voted to rename the PhysioNet/Computing in Cardiology Challenges in honor of George Moody, and his life-long contributions to the field, and specifically PhysioNet, the Challenges and CinC. The Challenge is now called the “The George B. Moody PhysioNet Challenge”. For consistency, we will still abbreviate this to the PhysioNet Challenge. We continue to partner with CinC, and will be awarding prizes in Finland in September this year.

Second, we are delighted to also announce the opening of the George B. Moody PhysioNet Challenge 2022. This year’s Challenge aims to identify the presence, absence, or unclear cases of murmur waves in heart sound recordings collected from multiple auscultation locations on the body using a digital stethoscope. Building on our successful Challenge from 2016, together with our generous collaborators at the Universidade Portucalense and Universidade do Porto, we have sourced a database of 5272 recordings from 1568 inhabitants of Pernambuco state, Brazil during two independent cardiac screening campaigns which were designed to support the development of a telemedicine network. More details on the data can be found in a recent publication in the IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics.

Demo code in Python and MATLAB is available, and the scoring system will be open later in February - Look out for the announcement very soon!

See here for more information, rules and deadlines: https://physionetchallenges.org/2022/.

As with previous years, we have divided the Challenge into two phases. The first (unofficial phase) is to enable the research community (i.e. you) to help us improve the Challenge. We value your input, and it is therefore compulsory to enter the Challenge in this unofficial phase (before 9th April) to be eligible for a prize. This is very important - we need your help! Please enter early and often - the score doesn’t matter and will be wiped from the board for the official phase. We need you to look for quirks in our scoring system, data formats, or anomalies in the raw data that do not make sense to you. We are not perfect, and are bandwidth-limited, and so we rely on the peer-review of our community to improve the quality of the Challenge every year. In particular, this year we strongly encourage suggestions for modifying our scoring function, which we are sure will be controversial.

Please note that you *must* re-register for this Challenge (using the link below) even if you competed last year and have no team changes, and to be eligible for a prize, you must submit at least one successful entry during the unofficial phase.

Quick links for this year's Challenge:
More information will be posted on the PhysioNet Challenge website as it is available. Please check the Challenge forum for real-time updates. Please also post questions and comments in the forum. However, if your question reveals information about your entry, then please email info [at] physionetchallenge.org. We may post parts of our reply publicly if we feel that all Challengers should benefit from the information contained in our responses. We will not answer emails about the Challenge sent to other email addresses.

Many thanks again for your continued support of this event, and we hope that you enjoy the 2022 Challenge!

Gari, Matt, Ali and all the team at PhysioNet