Common mistakes in preprints for the Physiological Measurement focus issue

physionet-challenges

Dec 6, 2021, 11:25:15 PM12/6/21
to physionet-challenges

Dear Challengers,

We have already received a few submissions for the Physiological Measurement focus issue and noticed a few common mistakes. As the extended deadline for submissions (15th December 2021) is approaching, authors who are planning to submit to the focus issue may find them helpful to see before submissions.

  • You can use your CinC paper (if you have one) as a starting point for your focus issue paper, but you can’t use the text, tables and discussion from your CinC paper verbatim (as-is). You must attribute any material that you use from other sources, including from your CinC paper, and you should introduce enough new material to merit publishing a new paper.

  • You need to explain how your approach is similar to and different from existing approaches, including the approach described in your CinC paper (if you have one). In this sense, your focus issue article is like any other article. You can also discuss what you learned during CinC from the other teams.

  • If you submit code for us to evaluate on the hidden data, then you need to describe how you updated your algorithm from the algorithm that you described in your CinC paper. Please be aware that we are unable to run your code if we can’t find this information in your preprint before the deadline. You need to clearly explain the updates of your algorithm in the focus issue preprint.

  • You can format your paper however you would like, but you may want to use the templates provided by Physiological Measurement: https://publishingsupport.iopscience.iop.org/journals/physiological-measurement/#article-format-and-templates

We look forward to receiving your submissions.

Best, Nadi (On behalf of the Challenge team.)

https://PhysioNetChallenges.org/
https://PhysioNet.org/

Please post questions and comments in the forum. However, if your question reveals information about your entry, then please email challenge at physionet.org. We may post parts of our reply publicly if we feel that all Challengers should benefit from it. We will not answer emails about the Challenge to any other address. This email is maintained by a group. Please do not email us individually.

Bjørn-Jostein Singstad

Dec 7, 2021, 5:53:38 AM12/7/21
to physionet-challenges
Dear Nadi

Thanks for sharing these helpful tips and common mistakes.

I think I read somewhere that the paper should be between 10 and 12 pages. Is it 10-12 pages + references? Could we also deliver some kind of supplementary materials?

Best regards,
Bjørn-Jostein

physionet-challenges

Dec 7, 2021, 5:57:14 AM12/7/21
to physionet-challenges
Dear Bjørn,

Thanks for reaching out. The Physiological Measurement journal has no page limit. We suggest it's at least 8 pages, preferably 12 pages, excluding the references. So please feel free to expound on your approach.

The journal encourages authors to submit supplementary materials. Please see this page for more information about the supplementary materials.