PLOS Digital Health Collection: Cost-effective point-of-care monitoring in low-resource settings

PhysioNet Challenge

Apr 12, 2023, 2:48:08 PM4/12/23
to physionet-challenges

Dear Challengers,

We are pleased to announce the PLOS Digital Health Collection: Cost-effective point-of-care monitoring in low-resource settings:

https://physionetchallenges.org/focus-issue/

This collection (also known as a focus issue or a special issue) invites the submission of manuscripts about point-of-care monitoring technologies in low-resource settings, including low and middle-income countries (LMICs) and underrepresented and underserved populations worldwide. In particular, we are interested in work that focuses on the specific and unique needs of the target populations.

We encourage submissions from participants in the 2022 PhysioNet Challenge, which asked teams to identify heart murmurs and abnormal cardiac function from heart sound recordings of a pediatric population in rural Brazil. The participants are welcome to submit extended versions of their work to the collection.

We also encourage submissions of work in any of the following areas:

  • Novel algorithms, biosensors, and processes for health monitoring in low-resources settings;

  • Co-design of technologies with lower resource communities;

  • Novel metrics for assessing algorithm or technology performance that factor in available resources, the prevalence of the target population and the consequences of referring on patients both appropriately and inappropriately;

  • Wearable and smartphone POC systems;

  • Assessment of consumer-level devices, and proprietary algorithms compared to benchmark systems;

  • Use of AI and edge computing algorithms for decision support and diagnostics and referral;

  • Ethical considerations of deploying and using POC devices, particularly in the context of available downstream resources to the patient if the POC test indicates further tests or treatment.

Please see the announcement page for more information, including information about how to submit to the collection and the availability of publishing fee waivers for certain countries:

https://physionetchallenges.org/focus-issue/

We look forward to reading your manuscripts!

Best,

Gari and Matt

(On behalf of the Challenge team.)

P.S.: The unofficial phase deadline for the 2023 PhysioNet Challenge is 24 April 2023, and abstract submission deadline for CinC 2023 is 1 May 2023. Both deadlines are rapidly approaching, so please submit your work soon!

Please post questions and comments in the forum. However, if your question reveals information about your entry, then please email info at physionetchallenge.org. We may post parts of our reply publicly if we feel that all Challengers should benefit from it. We will not answer emails about the Challenge to any other address. This email is maintained by a group. Please do not email us individually.