"Bradycardia" and "Sinus Bradycardia"

David Hudak

Apr 15, 2021, 8:48:08 PM4/15/21
to physionet-challenges
Hi organizers,

I would like to ask a question:

What is the difference between using the label "Bradycardia" and the label "Sinus Bradycardia"?

Each Sinus Bradycardia is also Bradycardia, nevertheless there are only six ECG signals with Bradycardia label in training data.

Does it mean that "Bradycardia" is reserved only for cases caused by other circumstances or diseases than lower sinoatrial node frequency?

Thanks in advance
David

PhysioNet Challenge

Apr 15, 2021, 8:55:35 PM4/15/21
to David Hudak, physionet-challenges
Hi David,

Thanks for the question. In the full training data, there are 2,359 SB and 288 Brady. These are how they are code in the respective databases and we don't have further information on why different centers label it as bradycardia vs sinus bradycardia. However, since multiple labels can exist for any given recording, bradycardia doesn't necessarily indicate sinus rhythm.  You would have to check the other labels.

If only one label exists, then it's possible you could assume there is no evidence of other rhythms present, but we can't be sure.  This depends on the practices at each individual center.  This uncertainty is in many ways, part of the challenge.

Best,

Erick

(On behalf of the Challenge team)

https://physionetchallenges.github.io/

Please post questions and comments in the forum. However, if your question reveals information about your entry, then please email chal...@physionet.org. We may post parts of our reply publicly if we feel that all Challengers should benefit from it. We will not answer emails about the Challenge to any other address. This email is maintained by a group. Please do not email us individually.

---

https://physionetchallenges.github.io/2021/

www.PhysioNet.org