content negotiation

Rutger Vos

Feb 12, 2010, 2:25:56 AM2/12/10
to PhyloWS Google Group
Hi all,

I'm tempted to implement content-negotiation on TreeBASE so that
LinkedData browsers can traverse it without the intermediate step of
visiting the RDF file that lists the available serializations. OK? Not
OK? Give it a try? Hilmar, what do you think?

Rutger

Hilmar Lapp

Feb 12, 2010, 9:44:45 AM2/12/10
to Rutger Vos, PhyloWS Google Group
Give it a try if you want, but what do you expect as the advantage?
Are you trying to obviate the need for the format=rdf parameter?

I'm not sure what you have in mind as the use-case that would
significantly benefit from this compared to not having conneg. Conneg
is not (and I think should not for the sake of simplicity) part of the
standard, so browsers can't expect it anyway, and visiting the RDF
shouldn't be costly anyway.

-hilmar

> --
> .

: Hilmar Lapp -:- Durham, NC -:- informatics.nescent.org :

Rutger Vos

Feb 15, 2010, 1:19:12 PM2/15/10
to Hilmar Lapp, PhyloWS Google Group
Yes, mmmm, the format=rdf parameter is one part. I guess the larger
issue is that I am not quite sure what the recommended behaviour
should be to distinguish between a resource-in-the-abstract (and what
that is supposed to return) versus an RDF/XML serialization of some
statements about a resource. Are they the same thing? How does this
serialization then relate to others (e.g. html, nexus, nexml, json)?

--
Dr. Rutger A. Vos
School of Biological Sciences