request for comment on CDAO open development

Arlin Stoltzfus

Aug 10, 2009, 5:17:06 PM8/10/09
to phy...@googlegroups.com, nexml-...@lists.sourceforge.net, cdao...@googlegroups.com
Dear phyloWS, nexml & CDAO developers--

The CDAO team held a meeting last week that included development and
strategic planning. We decided that an immediate priority was to open
up the development of CDAO (its not as though we've been excluding
anyone-- we just haven't been going out of our way to recruit more
players or to respond to potential stakeholders). Ultimately we would
like for CDAO to be a community project with an infrastructure that
allows it to be responsive to a diverse and active community of
stakeholders. Its going to take some time to get to that point, but
as a start, we would like to open up development of CDAO and be
responsive to the needs of those of you who are working on phyloWS and
nexml.

I'm writing to get feedback on how to proceed. Right now, I'm
interested in anything you have to say. Relevant feedback might cover
a variety of topics, such as (for example):

* how do we coordinate development of nexml, phyloWS and CDAO (the
EvoInfo "stack")?
* what topics need semantic coverage right now?
* how well do email lists and open teleconferences work to build
communities?
* what is the effectiveness of various tools to facilitate development
(google code vs. sourceforge; bug or issue trackers)
* which people or communities should be encouraged to get involved?
* which projects should the phyloWS-CDAO-nexml developers pay more
attention to (e.g., OBI?)?

After getting some preliminary feedback, I will arrange a
teleconference to sort through the results and make a plan.

Please put your ideas on

evoinfo.nescent.org/StackDevelopmentIdeas

If you don't have access to that or are lazy, you could email to me.
I set the "reply-to" address to come to me because I didn't want to
clog up three email lists with this discussion, but if you all feel
its important to run this as a back-and-forth discussion then choose
"reply to all".

Thanks for your help. Regards,

Arlin
-------
Arlin Stoltzfus (stol...@umbi.umd.edu)
Fellow, CARB; Adj. Assoc. Prof., UMBI; Research Biologist, NIST
CARB, 9600 Gudelsky Drive, Rockville, MD
tel: 240 314 6208; web: www.molevol.org