The dreaded assert vv not in prots2ups assertion error...

bkr...@ucdavis.edu

Oct 7, 2016, 12:18:01 PM10/7/16
to PhyloPhlAn-users
Greetings all,

I'm a new PhytoPhlan user (and commandline newbie...) and am trying to get the program up and running on a local cluster. I managed to get it to work on the test data but have run into common error messages when trying to get it to work with my own sequences. I took care of the "asterisk" issue in my protein sequences but have recently run into the following error.

Traceback (most recent call last):

  File "./phylophlan.py", line 793, in <module>

    gens2prots(inps, projn)

  File "./phylophlan.py", line 311, in gens2prots

    assert vv not in prots2ups

AssertionError

There are several threads dealing with this error which have suggested several causes/solutions including cleaning up files, creating unique headers, and trying new versions of the PhyloPhlan. Cleaning up the files with python phylophlan.py -c "project" did not seem to help so I was going to try to modify my FASTA headers but I'm not sure where to start. I've been unable to find a script online that will work and I'm just starting to learn Python so my programming skills are rudimentary at best. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Brendan

Francesco Asnicar

Oct 7, 2016, 2:07:39 PM10/7/16
to PhyloPhlAn-users
Hello Brendan,
that error is generally issued when there are conflicting ids in the input fasta files. So, my suggestion is to switch to the "dev" version of PhyloPhlAn. There you can use the new parameter "--faa_cleaning", which take care of producing unique ids in the input fast files provided.

To do this, you simply need to:
 * go to your local directory of PhyloPhlAn cloned from the repository (usually a folder named "phylophlan")
 * execute the following command:
    - $ hg update dev

You have now switched to the "dev" version of PhlyPhlAn. Now, I think that it is better to clean the project folder by typing:
 $ python phylophlan.py -c "project"
Now you can execute the same command you already used (should be something like: $ python phylophlan.py -u "project") with the addition of the "--faa_cleaning" parameter.

Please, let me know if this solve your problem.

Many thanks for using PhyloPhlAn,
Francesco

Brendan K Riely

Oct 10, 2016, 2:07:14 PM10/10/16
to PhyloPhlAn-users

Hi Francesco,

Thanks for getting back to me so promptly! I tried updating PhyloPhlAn and got the following message:

bkriely@farm:~/Rlv_genome_data/sequencing/bin/nsegata-phylophlan-8e2d2ec74872$ hg update dev

abort: no repository found in '/home/bkriely/Rlv_genome_data/sequencing/bin/nsegata-phylophlan-8e2d2ec74872' (.hg not found)!

Am I starting with the wrong version of PhyloPhlAn? Not sure where to go from here. Thanks again for the help.

cheers,
Brendan

Oct 10, 2016, 3:53:41 PM10/10/16
to PhyloPhlAn-users
Hello Brendan,
I think you got that error message because you didn't downloaded PhyloPhlAn as a repository, but from the download page. If that is the case, you just need to type:
 $ hg clone https://bitbucket.org/nsegata/phylophlan
then you can type:
 $ hg update dev
to switch to the "dev" branch.

Please, let me know if you managed to get things working.

Many thanks,
Francesco

Brendan K Riely

Oct 11, 2016, 5:10:00 PM10/11/16
to PhyloPhlAn-users

We're golden! Thanks for the help! BTW, I had to switch to 7.0.1090 to get the program to run. Neither 5.2.32, nor 8.1.1861 would run and I got a

Invalid command line

Option --ublast is invalid

Error. No such problem with usearch 7. Thanks again!

cheers,

Sent: Monday, October 10, 2016 12:53:29 PM

Francesco Asnicar

Oct 12, 2016, 3:01:00 AM10/12/16
to PhyloPhlAn-users
Great! I'm glad to hear that it worked!
It is strange that the usearch version 8.1.1861 didn't worked... Because is the one that I'm currently using!

Caroline Lilliebjörn

Mar 13, 2019, 5:50:44 AM3/13/19
to PhyloPhlAn-users
Hello Francesco,
I followed your instructions after receiving the AssertionError with no success. Is there anything else that can be done to fix this error?

Best,
Caroline

Francesco Asnicar

Mar 20, 2019, 6:01:34 AM3/20/19
to phylophl...@googlegroups.com
Hello Caroline,

Can you provide the full command line and the version of PhyloPhlAn you're using?

Many thanks,
Francesco