Issue with muscle error

Yancong Zhang

Apr 16, 2019, 12:05:04 PM4/16/19
to PhyloPhlAn-users
Hi PhyloPhlAn group,

I have some issue when running PhyloPhlAn. Could you give me some help?
I installed the latest version of PhyloPhlAn on the dev branch of the repository (https://bitbucket.org/nsegata/phylophlan/branch/dev). Then I tested the example genomes on the downloaded phylophlan folder using the command './phylophlan.py -i -t example_insertion --nproc 10'. But it failed with some error message "[e] Quitting PhyloPhlAn [muscle error]". The muscle version I used is v3.8.31. I couldn't find much more information about this error. Do you have any idea about it? Any suggestion would be appreciated!

Best,
Yancong

Francesco Asnicar

Apr 22, 2019, 5:08:32 AM4/22/19
to phylophl...@googlegroups.com
Dear Yancong,

Thanks for reporting this. So, you're indeed in the new PhyloPhlAn branch, but the phylophlan.py script is still running the old PhyloPhlAn version. If you're interested in running the latest version you should execute the phylophlan2.py script, otherwise, if you want to run the old version, can you please provide the full output so that I can have a look to what might be the problem?

Many thanks,
Francesco

Yancong Zhang

Apr 22, 2019, 5:14:23 PM4/22/19
to PhyloPhlAn-users
Hi Francesco,

Thanks so much for your reply! It would be very helpful if we could make the old PhyloPhylAn version works.
I couldn't find any files in the "output/" folder, but there was one newly generated sub-folder named "example_insertion" in the "data/" folder. I attached the files in that sub-folder and whole log file. Hope it could provide some information for your debug. Please let me know if anything else needs to provide.

Thanks again!
Yancong

On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 6:05 PM Yancong Zhang <zhangy...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi PhyloPhlAn group,

I have some issue when running PhyloPhlAn. Could you give me some help?
I installed the latest version of PhyloPhlAn on the dev branch of the repository (https://bitbucket.org/nsegata/phylophlan/branch/dev). Then I tested the example genomes on the downloaded phylophlan folder using the command './phylophlan.py -i -t example_insertion --nproc 10'. But it failed with some error message "[e] Quitting PhyloPhlAn [muscle error]". The muscle version I used is v3.8.31. I couldn't find much more information about this error. Do you have any idea about it? Any suggestion would be appreciated!

Best,
Yancong

example_insertion.tar.gz
log.txt

Francesco Asnicar

Apr 23, 2019, 3:50:48 AM4/23/19
to phylophl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Yancong for the log and the files.

From the files the execution seems to be correct, is muscle installed in your system?
Or, have you specified the --mafft param? In this case, is mafft installed in your system?

Thanks,
Francesco

Yancong Zhang

Apr 23, 2019, 9:30:18 AM4/23/19
to PhyloPhlAn-users
Hi Francesco,

Yes, I installed MUSCLE v3.8.31 and MAFFT v7.427. I tested them separately and both of them looked works well.

Best,
Yancong