Can you use Asteroid as a starting tree & Which network is recommended to use as starting trees

Ash M

Jul 6, 2023, 8:23:38 PM7/6/23
to PhyloNetworks users
Hello,

In the manual, I know that ASTRAL is used as a starting tree, however, I wanted to know if Asteroid could be used as a starting tree. From previous runs I did not run into any issues using Asteroid, however, I wanted to confirm if this could be done or if there are any issues I am not aware of.

I also wanted to know which networks are recommended to use in later runs. Should I consistently use net0 or should I always use the latest net generated (net#-1)

Thank you for your help ahead of time.

Cheers,
Ash

Cécile Ané

Jul 7, 2023, 9:14:37 AM7/7/23
to PhyloNetworks users
Sure, any good estimate of the species tree (or network) is good to use.
For runs with higher number of reticulations, I like to start with the latest generated network (h-1), and also do other runs using a tree. Then I keep the best network that was found, that is, the network from the run that found the highest score.