-loglik 0.0

AT

Dec 8, 2022, 10:55:03 AM12/8/22
to PhyloNetworks users
Hi Claudia and Cécile,

I used SNaQ in my analusis. The RAxML gene tree based on the 1011 genes was used as an input and was summarized by a list of quartet concordance factors. An ASTRAL tree based on 1011 genes was implemented as a starting topology for the optimization (hmax = 0). I used 10 independent runs and hmax values ranging from 0 to 5.

For hmax = 4 and 5, I get -loglik 0.0. (I check the out files). But I haven't gotten any errors.

Do you think I do something wrong? Could you please give me any advice?

Thank you in advance,

Alicia

Cécile Ané

Dec 8, 2022, 12:16:24 PM12/8/22
to PhyloNetworks users
A score of 0.0 means that your estimated network fit your data perfectly, because the score saved as -loglik is normalized by the best score a network could ever have. This best scenario is when the quartet concordance factors expected from the network match perfectly those observed in the data. A score of 0.0 is something we obtained on quartet CF data that were manually constructed from a network (as in a simulation, but as if with an infinite number of genes), to check that SNaQ was able to recover that network. But with a finite number of genes, a perfect score of 0.0, without any rounding, is indeed suspicious. I encourage you to look further into how the concordance factors match between the data and what is expected from your estimated network.
Cécile.

Alicia Talavera

Dec 11, 2022, 6:27:45 PM12/11/22
to Cécile Ané, PhyloNetworks users
Hi Cécile,

Thank you so much for your advice. I will check it carefully.

Best wishes,

Alicia

Alicia Talavera Júdez, Margarita Salas Postdoctoral Fellow
Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History
University of Malaga