Can't get Phusion Passenger to run on fresh install with Ubuntu Zesty - /usr/sbin/nginx could not be executed

Dani

Aug 20, 2017, 6:04:59 AM8/20/17
to Phusion Passenger Discussions

I have a new DigitalOcean droplet running Ubuntu 17.04 (Zesty Zapus). I am trying to get Phusion Passenger up and running on it with Nginx. However, I am experiencing some problems while following this guide: https://www.phusionpassenger.com/library/walkthroughs/deploy/ruby/digital_ocean/nginx/oss/zesty/install_passenger.html

I can see the problem by typing `sudo journalctl -xe` which returns:

-- Unit nginx.service has begun starting up.
Aug 20 10:02:35 app systemd[24674]: nginx.service: Failed at step EXEC spawning /usr/sbin/nginx: No such file or directory
-- Subject: Process /usr/sbin/nginx could not be executed
-- Defined-By: systemd
-- Support: http://www.ubuntu.com/support
--
-- The process /usr/sbin/nginx could not be executed and failed.
--
-- Defined-By: systemd
-- Support: http://www.ubuntu.com/support
--
-- Unit nginx.service has failed.
--

I believe the problem is that Phusion Passenger doesn't create any /usr/sbin/nginx file so nginx fails to startup.
Has anyone else experienced this? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Daniel Knoppel

Aug 20, 2017, 1:34:42 PM8/20/17
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
Did you install Nginx? It's not provided for Zesty by Phusion, we only supply our own Nginx/Passenger integration module that works with the default / system Nginx.

- Daniel

Dani

Aug 20, 2017, 1:38:09 PM8/20/17
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
Hi Daniel, thanks for your response.
I did not install Nginx, I spun up a brand new DO droplet (Zesty) and ran through the Passenger docs verbatim. Following the guide, the /usr/sbin/nginx file doesn't appear to get created, so I am unable to start up Nginx.

Are you suggesting I should install Nginx myself and then go through the Phusion Passenger guide after that?

Daniel Knoppel

Aug 21, 2017, 4:07:17 AM8/21/17
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
Yes, starting from Zesty we no longer supply a customized Nginx package, so you need to install it.

We're still evaluating if our new documentation is clear enough, maybe we can add a hint about this.

- Daniel

Byakugan.87

Aug 21, 2017, 1:08:46 PM8/21/17
to phusion-...@googlegroups.com
Ah yes it might be a good idea to add a note saying that it’s important to install nginx?

Thanks and kind regards,

Daniele