Who's using Ruby Enterprise Edition in production?

Hongli Lai

Nov 16, 2008, 8:20:34 AM11/16/08
to Phusion Passenger Discussions, emm-...@googlegroups.com
Hi.

A while ago someone had asked who's using Phusion Passenger in
production. The positive responses were overwhelming; thanks to all who
had replied!

Ruby Enterprise Edition seems to get a bit less attention than Phusion
Passenger, so we're wondering how many people use Ruby Enterprise
Edition in production. We need this information for marketing purposes,
and seeing that we're providing REE for free, we'd be really grateful if
you could take some time to reply to this message. And if you can,
please also tell us which websites are powered by REE and how much
traffic they get.

Thanks,
Hongli Lai

Apologies for cross-posting on mailing list. But I believe this is
rather important. :)

--
Phusion | The Computer Science Company

Web: http://www.phusion.nl/
E-mail: in...@phusion.nl
Chamber of commerce no: 08173483 (The Netherlands)

Aron Pilhofer

Nov 16, 2008, 8:56:26 AM11/16/08
to Phusion Passenger Discussions

Deadsunrise

Nov 16, 2008, 9:47:26 AM11/16/08
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
Hi

I've been using REE for the last 3 or 4 months (before we used
passenger with the normal ruby) at http://www.frozen-layer.com (all
the site is made in RoR except the forums)

Last month we served 3,705,600 pageviews to 251,562 unique visitors.

If you need more information or statistics feel free to contact me,
Thanks for the great job that you are doing on REE and phusion.

Regards

Jon
> E-mail: i...@phusion.nl

Egze

Nov 16, 2008, 12:36:39 PM11/16/08
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
Hi,

Using Passenger and REE on http://cligs.ee (Events site in Estonia).
The site is in closed beta, so no real traffic yet, but we are
starting public beta next week.

Cheers,
Aleksandr

On Nov 16, 2:20 pm, Hongli Lai <hon...@phusion.nl> wrote:
> E-mail: i...@phusion.nl

sheuer

Nov 16, 2008, 5:17:20 PM11/16/08
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
We have been using REE along with passenger for around 6 months for
our Community Education Software. Our biggest client has around 50
page hits per minute between 8 am and 6 pm. It drops to an average 10
hits/minute after 6 pm.

We have 6 installations, of which 4 use REE.

Stephen Heuer
http://aruxsoftware.com
> E-mail: i...@phusion.nl

eriko...@gmail.com

Nov 16, 2008, 5:45:57 PM11/16/08
to Phusion Passenger Discussions

5 now soon to be 10 internal apps on Oracle REL5 with REE and
passenger. Actually they are not fully internal apps as they provide
search via REST for data that is published to other apps. Course
Catalog and phone/email directory for a small (5000 FTSE) college

FTSE Full time student equivalent

Vamsee

Nov 16, 2008, 6:13:37 PM11/16/08
On Nov 16, 6:20 pm, Hongli Lai <hon...@phusion.nl> wrote:

> Ruby Enterprise Edition seems to get a bit less attention than Phusion
> Passenger, so we're wondering how many people use Ruby Enterprise
> Edition in production.

I would love to use it on our servers, but REE is not x64 yet :-(

Vamsee.

ippa

Nov 16, 2008, 7:05:06 PM11/16/08
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
passenger.

Andrew

Nov 16, 2008, 7:11:01 PM11/16/08
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
Soshiku (http://soshiku.com) runs on both Passenger and REE. It runs
like a dream. Thanks, Phusion!
> E-mail: i...@phusion.nl

Cynthia Kiser

Nov 16, 2008, 10:22:37 PM11/16/08
to phusion-...@googlegroups.com
I am migrating Caltech's Rails apps to using Ruby Enterprise Edition +
Passenger. Right now the only sites running on REE are small, low
trafic stuff but I am eventually planning to rewrite all the web sites
Public Relations manages to run on Rails and when I do, they will be
hosted on REE + Passenger.

I converted to using REE when the last kinda serious bug was found in
Ruby 1.8.6 and number of the Linux distros' ruby packagers were having
trouble inserting patches w/o breaking Rails. A fixed REE was
available almost immediately and worked flawlessly so it seemed like
an ideal time to switch.
--
Cynthia Kiser

Peer Allan

Nov 17, 2008, 12:00:59 AM11/17/08
to phusion-...@googlegroups.com
We tried using REE on an internal app, but ran into a problem with an internal gem.  The gem has a shortcut to make it easier to access (MG = MyGem) the classes (MG::Class instead of MyGreatgem::Class).  REE was giving us errors that it could not find class MG::Class and this has prevented us from using it so far.  We are continuing to investigate what it may be and will be sure to let the list know if we find anything.

Peer

Thomas Balthazar

Nov 17, 2008, 2:23:03 AM11/17/08
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
Hello,

http://www.byrecords.com , a Belgian independent music label runs on
REE and Phusion Passengers.
It is quick, smooth and it was easy to deploy.

HTH,
Thomas.
> E-mail: i...@phusion.nl

TonyLa

Nov 17, 2008, 8:25:12 AM11/17/08
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
http://www.pingg.com has been using REE exclusively since it's release
and prior to that your GC patched ruby :)
> E-mail: i...@phusion.nl

Ninh Bui

Nov 17, 2008, 8:50:11 AM11/17/08
to phusion-...@googlegroups.com
Hey Thomas,

Got any electronic acts on that music label? ;)

Cheers,
Ninh
E-mail: in...@phusion.nl

taelor

Nov 17, 2008, 9:56:46 AM11/17/08
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
I have a proof of concept website called http://shovelchat.com. With a
cron-job scheduled polling of the Digg.com API, I list all the Digg
sites. Then you can click on one of those listing, and be brought to a
chat room based on that digg article.

The Chat room uses Juggernaut, a push server for rails. Juggernaut
uses a TCP/IP flash bridge to push javascript up to the browser.
Juggernaut is a seperate process in the background.

The website is ran using Phusion Passenger. The whole set up has been
running for at least 76 days straight, no problems. But I don’t get
any traffic, so that might be why.

But since I use Passenger, you have to wait a while for the website to
load. I haven’t figured out how to fix that quite yet. I know there is
a setting in the config that can take care of that.

Thanks for the great products, I makes things very simple, and I love
the benifits I get by running Phusion Passenger with Ruby Enterprise
Edition. I’m sure slicehost.com loves it too.

Keep up the great work,
taelor

On Nov 17, 7:50 am, "Ninh Bui" <ninh....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Thomas,
>
> Got any electronic acts on that music label? ;)
>
> Cheers,
> Ninh
>
> On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 8:23 AM, Thomas Balthazar <gro...@suitmymind.com>wrote:
>

> > Hello,
>
> >http://www.byrecords.com, a Belgian independent music label runs on

Thomas Balthazar

Nov 17, 2008, 10:09:31 AM11/17/08
to phusion-...@googlegroups.com
Hello Ninh,

Listen to Skizofonik :
http://byrecords.com/en/artists/skizofonik
radio link :
http://files.byrecords.com/media/music/skizofonik/radio_EP/index.html

We are also planning to release some electro-rock-glam soon.
Subscribe to our newsletter to stay tuned ;o)

Best,
Thomas.

Strock

Nov 17, 2008, 3:06:51 PM11/17/08
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
Hi.

After losing our server we've switched to Passenger & REE here in big
photobank, visualrian.com. It's running for only about 5 days, but
everything's fine )))) And it was the easiest deployment we ever did.

oldmoe

Nov 18, 2008, 3:39:10 PM11/18/08
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
Hi,

at <a href="http://www.espace.com.eg">espace</a> we use REE for almost
all our clients' production sites. Some of those generate millions of
daily page views. I am hoping the changes would be ported to 1.9 as
well since it is not clear when it will be done by the core team.

Regards

oldmoe
CTO, eSpace
www.espace.com.eg
oldmoe.blogspot.com
> E-mail: i...@phusion.nl

Bobnation

Nov 19, 2008, 12:59:13 AM11/19/08
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
Currently not running REE, but I have been thinking about it. Recently
switched Passenger over to an Atom-based, low-power server to see how
Atom can handle my upcoming blog and might use REE to cut back on RAM
usage.

Harm Aarts

Nov 19, 2008, 4:32:08 AM11/19/08
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
I am and we are using REE for all my and our projects. :)

drdis...@gmail.com

Nov 19, 2008, 9:55:01 AM11/19/08
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
We use REE, dramatically increased performance of our online knowledge
base (Rails/Passenger/REE).

First Rails app for me as we're Windows desktop slaves right now, but
my long time Rails developer friend now at Oakley was impressed and
said it was the fastest Rails app he's hit in a long time.

Roadie Rage

Nov 20, 2008, 9:21:35 AM11/20/08
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
Hello,

We are using Passenger and REE in production as of Tuesday, November
18. We don't have much traffic at the moment, but the site is:

http://roadierage.com

Rob Kainz
CEO and Developer
Roadie Rage, Inc.
http://robertkainz.com

John at Haywood

Dec 10, 2008, 11:52:06 AM12/10/08
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
Haywood Community College uses both Phusion Passenger and REE to serve
www.haywood.edu. When we released our RoR-based redesign in 2007, our
website was served using Mongrel clusters; during that time we
experienced all sorts of deployment headaches, restart issues and
mysterious server errors. We dumped the clusters for Passenger several
months later, and we were pleased. Before we relocated the site to its
current server, we evaluated the Apache2+worker MPM+Passenger+REE
setup. We switched over early last month, and we couldn't be happier.

Our traffic is about what you would expect for a community college in
western North Carolina: 49,532 visits over the last 30 days, with
14,703 unique visitors and 104,509 pageviews. I would imagine that
most of the benefits of our setup are lost on us due to our low
traffic, but for what it's worth, REE+PP handles the load
beautifully. ;-)

Thanks, Phusion.

-- John Bradley, Haywood Community College