Looking for an advanced MySQL course

Ian Winstanley

Jan 30, 2014, 7:36:18 AM1/30/14
to ph...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I was wondering whether anybody had recommendations for an advanced MySQL course that they had attended. I am an experienced web developer but would like to fill in any holes in my MySQL repertoire. Topics that I had in mind are replication, query optimisation and analysis, hot backups, complex stored procedures, database administration, understanding of how indexes work in the RDBMS, discussion of the merits of the various storage engines etc.

I have seen a few tutor led courses ranging from 1 to 5 days but am wary of those that cover all the usual query and field types. I am not looking for an online course as I usually work on my own and am looking for a bit of face to face input!

Thanks

Ian

Jamie Cordingley

Jan 30, 2014, 11:29:32 AM1/30/14
to ph...@googlegroups.com

Hi Ian,

This is usually a pretty decent course.

http://www.percona.com/mysql-training/order/lon-1402

Thanks

Jamie

PHPNW Website: http://phpnw.org.uk/
twitter: http://twitter.com/PHPNW
Events: http://upcoming.yahoo.com/group/4709/
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/112906/3FCE41597A1B
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=17897252075
IRC: #phpnw (irc.freenode.net)

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "PHPNW" group.

Jamie Cordingley
I.T. Manager

Tel: 00 44 161 223 3241
DDI:00 44 161 230 2154
Mobile: 00 44 7714253441
Email: jcord...@eastlandcompounding.com
Web : www.eastlandcompounding.com

This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If verification is required please request a hard-copy version.

Adrian Hardy

Jan 30, 2014, 12:08:48 PM1/30/14
to ph...@googlegroups.com
On Thursday, 30 January 2014 12:36:18 UTC, Ian Winstanley wrote:

I was wondering whether anybody had recommendations for an advanced MySQL course that they had attended. I am an experienced web developer but would like to fill in any holes in my MySQL repertoire. Topics that I had in mind are replication, query optimisation and analysis, hot backups, complex stored procedures, database administration, understanding of how indexes work in the RDBMS, discussion of the merits of the various storage engines etc.

I might be able to help. I delivered a half-day tutorial on MySQL Query Optimisation at PHPNW13.  In all honesty, you could probably get a good overview on all the topics you've listed in one very full day, or perhaps two at most. As you say, you know what you're doing, you just want to peek over the edge a little bit to see what you might be missing out on. A one-on-one tutorial session may well be a good way of doing that.

I've been using MySQL in high performance, mission critical scenarios for over ten years now. I'm sure a few in the group could vouch for me if you wanted a reference.

Thanks,

Adrian

Ben Johnson

Jan 30, 2014, 12:15:46 PM1/30/14
to ph...@googlegroups.com
Vouched. My favourite talk of the Conference.

Ian Winstanley

Jan 30, 2014, 12:26:19 PM1/30/14
to ph...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jamie, thanks for the reference - looks good.

I might well be in touch Adrian. I missed PHPNW13 this year but one to one may well be a solution.

Ben Nuttall

Jan 30, 2014, 1:10:14 PM1/30/14
to PHPNW
Adrian knows his stuff when it comes to mysql

Ben

On 30 January 2014 17:26, Ian Winstanley <i...@scion.co.uk> wrote:
Hi Jamie, thanks for the reference - looks good.

I might well be in touch Adrian. I missed PHPNW13 this year but one to one may well be a solution.

Ian Winstanley

Jan 31, 2014, 9:25:52 AM1/31/14
to ph...@googlegroups.com
Hi Adrian