Users support: currently, it's Admin or nothing, right?

Alexandre Leroux

Sep 27, 2013, 8:44:50 PM9/27/13
to phplit...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I finally had the time to dive into phpliteadmin. Very easy to install and use, but if I understood correctly, there's support for only one user: the admin. Anyone that can view the db, can also edit it. Is that right?

That's a showstopper for me. My use case requires at a minimum having visitors that can only view the db's content but not edit it.

Thanks and have fun with the development! -- Alex

Christopher Kramer

Sep 29, 2013, 12:25:57 PM9/29/13
to phplit...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex,

it currently is only possible to restrict access to a database by removing the write-right on the filesystem for the db-file. So under linux, chmod it in a way so that the webserver-user cannot write the file, on windows, most easily make the file read-only.

But this also means the admin user cannot edit the db any longer, You can have a read-only copy, but then you need to replace the copy each time you edited the original file.

If this is a showstopper for you, probably it is easier for you to implement rights management in phpliteAdmin instead of starting from scratch. Of course if you find an alternative solution that works for you, that's also an option and I'd be interested in this as it is always interesting to learn from what else is on the market. I don't know any script that is comparably to phpLiteAdmin and has this kind of rights management, but this surely does necessarily not mean there is no such script.
Although I am part of the phpLiteAdmin project, I won't keep it secret which other similar scripts I know. The most important one in my opinion is Adminer. It supports rights management for dbs that have their own rights management like mySQL, but I am unsure whether they have rights management for SQLite. But maybe it's worth to have a look at it.

If you implement rights management for phpLiteAdmin, of course we would be interested in the implementation. If it's generic enough for widespread use it has good chances to make it into the next version.

Greetings!
Christopher

Alexandre Leroux

Sep 29, 2013, 4:54:28 PM9/29/13
to phplit...@googlegroups.com

Hi Chrisopher,

Thanks for the reply. I guess it's all about 'use cases'. For what I need, I plan to now test ABASE http://wordpress.org/plugins/abase/ ... since it's integrated with WordPress and appears to be flexible enough.

That said, I still had an excellent impression of phplitadmin. Cheers -- Alex

Míchael S

May 6, 2021, 10:17:53 AM5/6/21
to phpliteadmin
Hi Alex,

I've added this feature that you're looking for.

Let me know if you need it.  :)

Mike