Log in/out processing delay

1 view

jsherk

Aug 21, 2010, 11:29:19 PM8/21/10
to PHPDevShell
Whenever you login or logout (v2.8.1), it takes you to a screen that
says "Processing" and three icons show up across the middle of the
screen.. after a few seconds it continues on to the next screen.

Is this delay necessary? Is there really some "processing" going on?
Or is this just a few seconds delay so you you can read the message
that is displayed before moving on?

If this delay is not really necessary, then how can I remove it.

Thanks

greg

Aug 22, 2010, 10:02:58 AM8/22/10
to PHPDevShell
The idea behind this redirection is that "login", i.e. the process of
acquiring a specific set of rights, can only be done very early in the
execution cycle. Thus, when you fill the login form, a cookie is put
in your browser and the page is reloaded with your personal rights. If
for some reason the login fails, it's better to warn the user; the
delay you see is actually a time when the login process can display
info.
Modifying this behaviour is easy, however maybe it would be better to
gather more user feedback to determine what would be better for
everyone.

greg

jsherk

Aug 22, 2010, 8:51:03 AM8/22/10
to PHPDevShell
[SOLVED]
I found that there is a 2 second delay added when logging in or out.

Look in: plugins/PHPDevShell/scripts/user/login-page.php
and look for occurrences of $this->navigation->redirect() function.
You can change the 2 to a 0 at the end of the two functions that are
related to a successful login and a successful logout. Leave the 2
second delay alone for the other functions that relate to errors
displaying an error, otherwise you won't see the error.

jsherk

Aug 22, 2010, 10:56:45 AM8/22/10
to PHPDevShell
What I suggested above, removes the delay from a SUCCESSFUL login or
logout only, since these are obvious and really don't require an
intermediate message to let me know I succesfully logged in or out
before proceeding... just take me where I want to go!

Obviously if there is an error (incorrect credentials or missing
credentials) we want to advise the user of such. The current
implementation (for login) displays the error message for 2 seconds
and then returns to the login screen. If you are a slow reader or not
paying attention you may miss the error message and not know why you
were unable to login.

It would be better, on a login error, to immediately return to the
login page (with the username and password box) and have the message
display on this screen so that it does not disappear ... then you can
see exactly what the issue is without it disappearing on you.

Thanks

greg

Aug 22, 2010, 4:50:29 PM8/22/10
to PHPDevShell
I opened a discussion on launchpad: https://answers.launchpad.net/phpdevshell/+question/122300

You are welcome to discuss this topic there, however please stay
concise and focused this page will be used as a base if we decide to
make a change.