Wordpress Help Needed urgently!

Harshal Kothavade

Nov 22, 2011, 1:17:43 PM11/22/11
to php...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I am currently working on one wordpress project.
I am new to wordpress, currently Facing one issue.

I installed one plugin and then modify it for to meet my custom requirement.
It was working very perfect, I uploaded and tested on Server.
A day Later when I open project for further development I found Plugin is disappeared from the admin panel.
What could be the reason?

I have checked code there is no error in it. But Only this Problem is happening.

If anyone knows the reason, It will be great for me and will save my lot of time.
For your informaion: I have used latest Wordpress installation.

--
Thanks,
Harshal

Rutwick Gangurde

Nov 22, 2011, 10:18:16 PM11/22/11
to php...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
You can check these things:

1) Check if the plugin is still performing what it should (if it outputs something in the front end).

2) Check the three tabs on the plugins page: Active, Inactive, All to see if the plugin is moved to either of these (due to some error, or some manual mistake).

3) You can also check directly in the 'wp-content/plugins' folder to see if the plugin's folder exists.

4) Please turn the debugging mode on. As you're new to WP, the steps to turn debugging on are: Open your 'wp-config.php' file (it's in the main folder of your WP installation) and look for the line 'define('WP_DEBUG', false)'. Change it to 'define('WP_DEBUG', true)'. Then visit the plugins page (or any page in the site). You'll see the errors/warnings if any which will help you identify the problem. After you're done with debugging, you can turn debugging off by changing back to 'false'.

Hope this helps you.

Thanks,
Rutwick

--
On Twitter ==> http://twitter.com/phpcamp
On Facebook ==> http://www.facebook.com/campersfanpage

Rutwick Gangurde
Web developer

Harshal Kothavade

Nov 22, 2011, 10:46:39 PM11/22/11
to php...@googlegroups.com

Hi thanks for reply.
I did checked it shows nowhere in allactive/ disabled etc.

Also plugin is there in the folder.

I will check turning debugging on
But i suspect it will not show error as its not detecting plugin.

I read somewhere that if we dnt have proper plugin info in comments at the start of file it will not detect it. Is that true?

But i have that too :(

Thanks
Harshal

Sent from samsung mobile

Rutwick Gangurde

Nov 23, 2011, 2:28:41 AM11/23/11
to php...@googlegroups.com
You're welcome.
I think debugging mode will tell you something. Can you post the header information of the plugin here (those comments at the top of the file)?

- Rutwick

Harshal Kothavade

Nov 23, 2011, 2:41:21 AM11/23/11
to php...@googlegroups.com
Ok here is the plugin detail at the top:

/*

Plugin Name: Ajax Event Calendar

Plugin URI: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/ajax-event-calendar/

Version: 1.0

Author: Eran Miller

Author URI: http://eranmiller.com

License: GPL2

*/

--
Thanks,
Harshal

Rutwick Gangurde

Nov 23, 2011, 6:26:38 AM11/23/11
to php...@googlegroups.com
The headers seem okay, I also cross checked them with the original plugin file. Try removing everything but the 'Plugin Name' (you can just cut it and paste it back again).
Also, did you check with the debug mode on? Any warnings there?

Rutwick Gangurde

Nov 23, 2011, 6:46:44 AM11/23/11
to php...@googlegroups.com
Guess what, I installed that plugin locally, and it killed my site with this warning:

'Warning: fopen(/opt/lampp/htdocs/wp/wp-content/plugins/ajax-event-calendar/css/cat_colors.css) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /opt/lampp/htdocs/wp/wp-content/plugins/ajax-event-calendar/ajax-event-calendar.php on line 1642
cannot open file'

So it could be an issue in the plugin, or as you said you edited it, you might have missed something in the code. Backup your edited version of the plugin, and try installing a fresh copy to check if it works. Let me know.

- Rutwick

Harshal Kothavade

Nov 23, 2011, 7:15:11 AM11/23/11
to php...@googlegroups.com

Ok. I will check this. Thanks.

Harshal

Harshal Kothavade

Nov 24, 2011, 8:54:58 AM11/24/11
to php...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

Thanks for your help.
Problem is resolved now. The cause for failure is not understood yet

What i did now is reinstalled the plugin and then added my modifications again n it works.

Lets cheers for it now. Dnt know if such problem could come again n what could be the solutions.

Thanks
Harshal

Sent from samsung mobile.

Rutwick Gangurde

Nov 25, 2011, 11:04:03 AM11/25/11
to php...@googlegroups.com
You're welcome! Glad it worked!
Just a little advice if you don't mind... Try to avoid editing plugin files directly, it could lead to bad results. And, the moment you update it, your changes will go! Instead, you can hook into what the plugin does using WP's filters and actions.

- Rutwick