Seattle Drupal and Web Development by Freelock Computing and more...

jonhnie...@gmail.com

Mar 1, 2017, 8:00:51 PM3/1/17
to p...@googlegroups.com
Recent news posts about PHP

Seattle Drupal and Web Development by Freelock Computing

6 things to consider before the next AWS outage

Yesterday Amazon Web Services (AWS) had a major outage in their US-East datacenter, in Virgina. It made all sorts of national news, largely because it affected some major online services.

At Freelock, we were largely unaffected. Part of this was that while we are pretty heavy users of AWS, we use their Oregon datacenter. And we generally don't rely on outside "software as a service" systems -- unlike most other shops, we're pretty obstinately open source , and would rather deal with the inconvenience of running our own systems than the inconvenience of having our entire business at the mercy of somebody else's infrastructure....
click to read the full article

Start contributing to Drupal

Start contributing to Drupal

I’ve been working on open source projects for a long time and contributing to Drupal for 6 years now.

And I want to share my experience and the things that helped me contribute to Drupal....
click to read the full article

PHP News, Views and Community

The PHPUgly podcast, with hosts Eric Van Johnson , Tom Rideout and John Congdon , has posted their latest episode - Episode #50: Resistance is Futile .

Topics mentioned in this latest show include:...
click to read the full article

PHP News, Views and Community

The Delicious Brains site has posted the latest part in their "Hosting WordPress Yourself" series (originally started back in 2015). In this latest tutorial they update things based on the current status of the WordPress project and share some of the considerations that need to be made when self-hosting versus something like WordPress.com.

It’s been 2 years since I started writing the Hosting WordPress Yourself series, and in that time a lot has changed! If you had tried following along with the series recently you will probably have noticed that a few of the steps outlined in the articles no longer worked, or were no longer relevant. A few exciting new technologies and services have also been introduced over the last few years (e.g. PHP 7.1 , Let’s Encrypt , HTTP/2 ) which can improve both the performance and security of your sites. As such, Brad suggested that I update the entire series to reflect what’s changed over the last couple of years....
click to read the full article

PHP News, Views and Community

On the SitePoint PHP blog there's a new tutorial posted by author Younes Rafie showing you how to secure your Laravel application with 2FA (two-factor authentication) via SMS messages. In this example they make use of the Twilio SMS handling to send the message to the end user's device.

While everyone is concerned about their application’s security, few take it seriously and take the plunge. The first thing you’ll notice when learning about this is that two factor authentication (2FA) is the go-to solution as a first step....
click to read the full article