JOB: Web Developer

James Wilson

May 11, 2015, 9:11:35 AM5/11/15
to php-nor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone,

Here at Colewood we’re looking for a junior / middleweight developer for our web development team.

The Company:

Colewood is primarily an online marketing / Pay-Per-Click marketing company and have been operating since 1999. We operate in a fairly relaxed environment here in Stokesley, just on the edges of the North Yorkshire Moors national park.

We’re a fairly small close knit team, but we’re always ready to welcome new members into our group. We pride ourselves on using some of the industries leading technologies. In the company we have a culture of furthering ourselves and staying current with all of the latest and greatest technologies so we regularly attend conferences around the UK, and we’re usually well represented at most of the leading PHP conferences in the UK.

You can find out more about us on our website here: http://www.colewood.net (please excuse the state of this, we’re replacing it soon)

The Job:

We’re looking for a developer to work on various internal tools we have which our marketing staff use in their roles managing, and optimising pay-per-click advertising accounts. You’ll also be working on client websites, these may be small companies, or some of our bigger client websites (including a large UK Supermarket).

Ideally you’ll be a PHP / MySQL Developer, however if you’re new to the industry, or a student about to leave university with experience of just HTML / CSS we’d love to hear from you.

I think this is a role that someone could definitely grow into and we’re committed to training a bright, and committed individual who perhaps hasn’t had exposure to these technologies.

That being said if you have experience of any of the following it’d be a great advantage:
- Nginx
- PHP-FPM
- Vagrant
- Ansible
- Linux Administration (Centos)
- Modern PHP Frameworks (e.g. Laravel / FuelPHP)
- Bower
- Gulp
- LESS
- Wordpress
- Continuous Integration (Jenkins / Teamcity)
- Git
- PHPUnit
- PHING

As I said I don’t expect anyone to know all of these for this type of position, but it’d be a great opportunity for someone to be able to learn these technologies if they were interested.

If you have any questions or wish to apply then you can do so by emailing me at: j...@colewood.net

regards

James Wilson

James Mills

May 11, 2015, 10:01:10 AM5/11/15
to php-nor...@googlegroups.com
Hi James. Just wanted to drop a quick note to comment you on this post. You have done a great job getting across who you are looking for and what the candidate can expect. Nice job.

oli wood

May 11, 2015, 10:48:50 AM5/11/15
to php-nor...@googlegroups.com

Not that I'd dare apply for a dev job these days and out myself as being horribly out of touch, but it would be great if job ads had salary brackets attached.  As an industry we're terrible at being open about them.

oli wood

May 11, 2015, 10:51:27 AM5/11/15
to php-nor...@googlegroups.com

Mr Mills makes a good point, please don't read my comments too negatively, more musings than critical feedback.

On 11 May 2015 3:01 pm, "James Mills" <jimg...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi James. Just wanted to drop a quick note to comment you on this post. You have done a great job getting across who you are looking for and what the candidate can expect. Nice job.

James Wilson

May 12, 2015, 7:55:57 AM5/12/15
to php-nor...@googlegroups.com
Hi james,

Thanks.. it's difficult isn't it because I'm not sure what people find important about a role. As I'm getting older it's more the technologies and culture than the money (although I do live nice things too).

regards

James

James Wilson

May 12, 2015, 8:01:19 AM5/12/15
to php-nor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Oli,

Yeah as a candidate I can understand that. However from a company point of view it's sometimes off putting if a junior candidate is negotiating their offer towards the high range when they're not really worth it.

When this happens it feels as if no-one wins and everyone is offended lol. As I said we're looking for someone from a couple of years experience to someone straight out of university so there's a fairly big range in there.

However, what I will say is we pay market rates and having worked at several agencies around Teesside I'd say we are competitive in this regards.

Where possible I'd always post with salary brackets, thanks for your comments.

James

James Wilson

May 12, 2015, 8:01:42 AM5/12/15
to php-nor...@googlegroups.com
"although i do live nice things too" = "although I do like nice things too" (thats what you get for responding to messages just before going for lunch) lol

oli wood

May 12, 2015, 8:33:47 AM5/12/15
to php-nor...@googlegroups.com

Thanks James, it is indeed a minefield.