[Internal][Discussion]

Vincent de Lau

Jul 1, 2024, 4:32:05 AMJul 1
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
Hi all,

Something that has been bugging me since I discovered it some years ago, is that the staggered terms for CC and Secretaries are not evenly spaced and contradicts other parts of the bylaw text [1]. It seems August should have been September. I propose to correct this mistake in the bylaws.

"Both Secretaries and Core Committee members are elected for two year terms with votes staggered eight months apart. One election is held in January of even numbered years, one election is held in August of even numbered years, and one election is held in May of odd numbered years. For example there would be elections in January 2018, August 2018 and May 2019."

As the bylaw text states, the term were intended to be eight months apart. Starting in January (month 1), the next one should have been +8 months, bringing it to September (month 9). The May term (month 5) is correct.

To correct the terms after these changes, we have to lengthen one 'August' term with one month to make it line up with the corrected bylaws. The correction could be made to the current term or to the next term.

Changing the current term would mean the next election round already would be in September instead of August. This would also mean that current CC members get to vote on their own term. I find that less desirable.

The alternative is that the next August election is for an extended term of 25 month, ending in September 2026. This would be my preferred option.

So, to summarize, my complete proposal is to:
- Change the Elections and Voting bylaw [1] text, replacing August with September.
- Keep this Augusts election cycle, but extend the term of these officials with one month.

A simple PR for the change is available on GitHub [3]
--
Kind regards,
Vincent de Lau

[1]: https://www.php-fig.org/bylaws/elections-and-vacancies/

Navarr Barnier

Jul 2, 2024, 8:59:58 AMJul 2
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
This is a very straightforward and reasonable change.

It has my full support.

Chuck Burgess

Jul 2, 2024, 9:46:12 AMJul 2
to php...@googlegroups.com