Re: Digest for php-fig@googlegroups.com - 12 updates in 1 topic

Steve McDougall

Apr 19, 2024, 11:05:07 AMApr 19
to php...@googlegroups.com
Is there a reason we wouldn't increase this PHP version higher? I'm all for backwards compatibility and understand people can't always be on the "latest and greatest" versions, but 7.1 seems a tad outdated to me.

As an aside, PSR-17 is one of my most appreciated so thanks for your work on this.

Kind Regards
Steve McDougall

On Tue, 16 Apr 2024, 02:49 , <php...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Woody Gilk <woody...@gmail.com>: Apr 15 07:11AM -0500

As editor of PSR-17, I hereby call a vote to:

1. Change the minimum required version of PHP to 7.1 for PSR-17.
2. Add explicit nullable types to PSR-17 interfaces.
3. Tag a new release v1.1.0 of psr/http-factory with changes (1) and (2).

The relevant PRs are:

https://github.com/php-fig/fig-standards/pull/1321
https://github.com/php-fig/http-factory/pull/17

Thank you,

--
Woody Gilk (he/him)
https://www.shadowhand.com

To clarify, this is the same as an Errata vote:
https://www.php-fig.org/bylaws/voting-protocol/#errata-vote, which follows
the Approval Vote procedures of:
- only Core Committee members vote
- 50% quorum
- 2/3 majority required

Il giorno lunedì 15 aprile 2024 alle 14:12:24 UTC+2 woody...@gmail.com ha
scritto:

Matteo Beccati <matteo....@gmail.com>: Apr 15 03:10PM +0200

+1

thanks for the quick follow up!

Matteo Beccati

Development & Consulting - http://www.beccati.com/
Ken Guest <ken....@gmail.com>: Apr 15 06:19AM -0700

and it's a +1 from me :-)

On Monday, April 15, 2024 at 2:11:00 PM UTC+1 Matteo Beccati wrote:

Vincent de Lau <vin...@delau.nl>: Apr 15 06:28AM -0700

+1 from me as well.

I would not mind a small rationale in the errata why it is `?string` and
not `string|null`.

On Monday, April 15, 2024 at 3:19:43 PM UTC+2 Ken Guest wrote:

Matteo Beccati <mat...@beccati.com>: Apr 15 03:40PM +0200

Hi Vincent,Il 15/04/2024 15:28, Vincent de Lau ha scritto:> I would not
mind a small rationale in the errata why it is `?string` and
> not `string|null`.

That would mean raising the required version to 8.0, when union types
were introduced.

Cheers
--
Matteo Beccati

Development & Consulting - http://www.beccati.com/
Korvin Szanto <korvin...@gmail.com>: Apr 15 06:40AM -0700

+1

Woody Gilk <woody...@gmail.com>: Apr 15 09:00AM -0500

> > not `string|null`.

> That would mean raising the required version to 8.0, when union types
> were introduced.

Which we can do, but it would be a *major* (2.0) version change. This is an
incremental step with a *minor* (1.1) version change.

--
Woody Gilk (he/him)
https://www.shadowhand.com

Alessandro Chitolina <alek...@gmail.com>: Apr 15 07:32AM -0700

+1

Il giorno lunedì 15 aprile 2024 alle 16:00:50 UTC+2 Woody Gilk ha scritto:

On Mon, Apr 15, 2024 at 8:40 AM Matteo Beccati <mat...@beccati.com> wrote:

Hi Vincent,Il 15/04/2024 15:28, Vincent de Lau ha scritto:> I would not
mind a small rationale in the errata why it is `?string` and
> not `string|null`.

That would mean raising the required version to 8.0, when union types
were introduced.

Which we can do, but it would be a *major* (2.0) version change. This is an
incremental step with a *minor* (1.1) version change.

It would be a minor change even if bumping to PHP 8+ and switching to
"string|null" union type as long as "= null" is in place.
This change would not break any existing API as the implementations with
"string $x = null" are still accepted even if the interface declares it as
"string|null"

--
Woody Gilk (he/him)
https://www.shadowhand.com

Cheers
--
Matteo Beccati

Development & Consulting - http://www.beccati.com/

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/php-fig/723dba4f-ab7f-4dab-a63d-73951da3798d%40beccati.com
.
"Larry Garfield" <la...@garfieldtech.com>: Apr 15 03:22PM

+1

(Please don't discuss in this thread, folks.)

--
Larry Garfield
la...@garfieldtech.com

On Mon, Apr 15, 2024, at 12:11 PM, Woody Gilk wrote:
Chuck Burgess <demon...@gmail.com>: Apr 15 10:27AM -0500

+1
CRB

Jaap van Otterdijk <ja...@ijaap.nl>: Apr 15 11:34AM -0700

+1
Jaapio

Larry Garfield

Apr 19, 2024, 11:51:45 AMApr 19
to PHP-FIG

On Fri, Apr 19, 2024, at 3:04 PM, Steve McDougall wrote:
> Is there a reason we wouldn't increase this PHP version higher? I'm all
> for backwards compatibility and understand people can't always be on
> the "latest and greatest" versions, but 7.1 seems a tad outdated to me.
>
> As an aside, PSR-17 is one of my most appreciated so thanks for your
> work on this.

Mainly that there's no benefit in this case to a newer version. If the interface had places where a union type or `mixed` would be helpful, for instance, then it would make sense to go all the way to 8.0 and use them. (We did that for a few other updated PSRs.) If the optimal set of language features for the particular RFC can be satisfied by 7.1, then there's no real benefit to forcing it higher just-because.

--Larry Garfield