[Internal][ELECTIONS] Secretary nominations needed!

Alessandro Lai

Jul 29, 2020, 10:45:22 AM7/29/20
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group

Hello everyone,
it's that time of the year again: August will be an election month, and a Secretary seat (mine!) is expiring, and we need to fill it again.

For the full rules, you can refer to our bylaw (which I'll be quoting below): https://www.php-fig.org/bylaws/elections-and-vacancies/

I'm opening this thread to ask for Secretary nominations. This thread will stay open up to August 13rd, and the voting will be following shortly after.

FAQ:
Q: Who can be nominated?
A: Anyone! The secretaries of the PHP-FIG are basically administrative clerks and community handlers. For more details, see https://www.php-fig.org/bylaws/mission-and-structure/#secretaries

Q: Who can nominate?
A: Citing the bylaw: "Candidates for Secretary or the Core Committee must be nominated/proposed by an existing Project Representative or FIG Secretary to be considered, and must publicly accept their nomination in order to be valid. Prospective candidates may seek nominations in any way they see fit."

Feel free to reach out to me, the other two secretaries (Asmir & Buster) or any other sitting PHP-FIG member to ask for a nomination or for further informations.

Vincent de Lau

Aug 13, 2020, 5:39:42 AM8/13/20
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
Hello FIG members,

Lurking on the mailing list, I've noticed that there are no nominations for the soon vacant secretary seat. Personally, I'd like to Alessandro re-elected for this position, since I think he is doing a good job. Someone probably has to nominate him if he wishes to continue.

If there are no other candidates, I'd be happy to accept a nomination. I'm fully aware I'm a complete stranger to most people here, so let me introduce myself.

Coming from a broad IT background, I became a full-time PHP developer almost 15 years ago. I'm currently working as a Solution Architect at a European telecom provider, where a large part of our business processes are using PHP. Although my day-to-day work doesn't involve a lot of programming work anymore, I still try to keep my PHP skills up to date and lurk on php.internals and PHP-FIG.

I'd like to give back to the community and I think that being a secretary for the PHP-FIG is a good way to facilitate and support the bright people that make up the FIG, for who I have a lot of respect. Although I do not have a lot of experience in such a role, I'm very much open to learn and gain experience.

As I understand it, the primary responsibility of the secretaries is to make sure the FIG's bylaws are followed and to be a neutral facilitator. I think that is a good role and I think some other projects could benefit from a similar structure. I think I can be impartial in such a role, although obviously I also have my own values and norms. I believe the PHP-FIG works best as an open community where everybody feels save to participate. Discussions may be fierce, as long as it is about the subject and there is mutual respect. Being a high profile project, I think the FIG has a responsibility to set stable and future proof standards, both technical and social.

Kind regards,

Vincent de Lau

Chuck Burgess

Aug 13, 2020, 7:21:20 AM8/13/20
to php...@googlegroups.com
As the PEAR representative, I nominate Alessandro Lai for a new term.
CRB

Mike van Riel

Aug 13, 2020, 9:27:10 AM8/13/20
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
As phpDocumentor representative, I re-nominate Chuck Burgess for a new term.

On Wed, Jul 29, 2020, 09:45 Alessandro Lai <alessan...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello everyone,
it's that time of the year again: August will be an election month, and a Secretary seat (mine!) is expiring, and we need to fill it again.

For the full rules, you can refer to our bylaw (which I'll be quoting below): https://www.php-fig.org/bylaws/elections-and-vacancies/

I'm opening this thread to ask for Secretary nominations. This thread will stay open up to August 13rd, and the voting will be following shortly after.

FAQ:
Q: Who can be nominated?
A: Anyone! The secretaries of the PHP-FIG are basically administrative clerks and community handlers. For more details, see https://www.php-fig.org/bylaws/mission-and-structure/#secretaries

Q: Who can nominate?
A: Citing the bylaw: "Candidates for Secretary or the Core Committee must be nominated/proposed by an existing Project Representative or FIG Secretary to be considered, and must publicly accept their nomination in order to be valid. Prospective candidates may seek nominations in any way they see fit."

Feel free to reach out to me, the other two secretaries (Asmir & Buster) or any other sitting PHP-FIG member to ask for a nomination or for further informations.

Mike van Riel

Aug 13, 2020, 9:31:34 AM8/13/20
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
Unfortunately, I should have read the thread title better; this was meant for the Core Committee thread. My apologies

Alessandro Lai

Aug 14, 2020, 3:06:54 AM8/14/20
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
Thank you Chuck, I accept the nomination, sorry for the late response, I'm on vacation.

Vincent, you'll need someone to nominate you if you still want to run in this election. Do you want to?

Vincent de Lau

Aug 16, 2020, 6:46:08 AM8/16/20
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
No, a nomination for me is not needed, since there is a candidate now. I’m glad to see you were nominated and you accepted!

Thanks and kind regards,
Vincent de Lau