Request to Add AzuraCast as PHP-FIG Member Project

Buster Neece

Jul 15, 2021, 10:14:35 PM7/15/21
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
Hello all!

A few years ago, before my term as secretary began, I had expressed interest in joining the PHP-FIG as the representative of my flagship web application, a project called AzuraCast (https://azuracast.com/), which is a self-hosted open-source web radio management suite.

At the time, this discussion was tabled and no vote took place, but after further discussions with folks on the PHP-FIG team, I'd like to reintroduce the question of adding our project as a Member Project as part of the FIG group.

While AzuraCast is, itself, an end-user facing application, there is nothing in the guidelines for who can be a member project that specifically says membership only applies to libraries that are used by other developers. In fact, the supporting text encourages applications of all sorts (as long as they are active in production and aren't "aspirational" in nature) to join as Member Projects. In fact, we're an excellent case-in-point of the value of the PSRs in everyday development: because our project has existed in some form since 2012, many of the underlying libraries we've depended on have come and gone, but because we've adopted the PSR interfaces wherever possible, switching out for new libraries has been a far simpler process.

Our application is certainly active in production, with tens of thousands of radio stations operating today using our application suite. We adopt, require or specifically inject dependencies based on PSRs 3, 4, 6, 7, 11, 12, 14, 15, 16, 17 and 18. Our team is also responsible for maintaining several "upstream" libraries that are used by other developers which implement the PSR standards even more directly.

As for why membership is so important to us when it isn't necessary for us to communicate or participate in the FIG process: I think the simple gesture of serving as a member project of the PHP-FIG is an important symbolic one. In explicitly saying that we support, will implement, and help guide the PHP-FIG standards, we're throwing the weight of our thousands of combined person-hours of open-source contribution behind what the FIG stands for. While the base of developers building on top of our application may be small, the base of users we have is increasing at a rapid pace, and in my opinion it matters that more projects speak up in support of groups like the FIG to help keep them front-and-center in the minds of our developer peers.

As I'm currently operating as one of the Secretaries for the PHP-FIG, I wouldn't also be able to serve as the project's representative for the immediate term, so I've discussed this with our second lead developer named Felix Bachmann and he would be willing to serve as the project representative in the event it's approved to join the FIG.

For that same reason, I wouldn't be able to conduct any sort of vote on the matter myself. I will rely on the other secretaries to help in this regard.

Thank you for your time and consideration!

 - Buster Neece

Vincent de Lau

Jul 16, 2021, 6:29:59 AM7/16/21
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
Hi Buster,

Welcome AzuraCast! Per the bylaws, the application for membership of a project needs a sponsor who is a current CC member or Project Representative. After the sponsor has confirmed your application, a two week discussion period starts before a vote is called.

--
Kind regards,

Vincent de Lau
PHP FIG Secretary

Larry Garfield

Jul 16, 2021, 11:21:22 AM7/16/21
to PHP-FIG
I am happy to sponsor AzuraCast's membership.

2 week clock starting... now. :-)

--
Larry Garfield
la...@garfieldtech.com

On Fri, Jul 16, 2021, at 5:29 AM, Vincent de Lau wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > As I'm currently operating as one of the Secretaries for the PHP-FIG, I wouldn't also be able to serve as the project's representative for the immediate term, so I've discussed this with our second lead developer named Felix Bachmann and he would be willing to serve as the project representative in the event it's approved to join the FIG.
> >
> > For that same reason, I wouldn't be able to conduct any sort of vote on the matter myself. I will rely on the other secretaries to help in this regard.
> >
> > Thank you for your time and consideration!
> >
> > - Buster Neece
> >

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/php-fig/da26c3fc-67a5-48d4-9e19-17a695d678cdn%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/php-fig/da26c3fc-67a5-48d4-9e19-17a695d678cdn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Vincent de Lau

Jul 29, 2021, 12:38:38 PM7/29/21
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
A quick heads up: The two weeks discussion period ends tomorrow. My plan is to start the voting process 2021-07-30 17:00:00 UTC, ending 2021-08-13 17:00 UTC.

--
Vincent de Lau
PHP-FIG Secretary