Re: Interested in helping with your research

Greg Austic

Aug 29, 2013, 11:49:20 PM8/29/13
to Stallard, Lauren, phot...@googlegroups.com
Hey Lauren -

Thanks for your interest! I have cced the nascent photosynq
discussion group, which is a good place to begin talking all things
related to the project. We absolutely need your ideas!

You can find our initial thoughts on educational modules and
experiments on the wiki -
https://opendesignengine.net/projects/photosynq/wiki . We actually
just tested 3 of those this week with good success: 1) measuring
photosynthetic activity of various fruits like apples, peppers, etc.,
2) measuring photosynthetic activity of purified chlorophyll versus an
actual leaf (the chlorophyll fluoresces but is shows no photosynthetic
activity!), and measuring the photosynthetic activity of two plants,
one in salt water and one in normal water to see how quickly we could
see a drop of in activity (this is relevant to early identification of
various types of stresses in the field). Feel free to add more there,
or just throw ideas out to the group. I'll post pictures and
descriptions of these soon.

So far, we have another teacher, Meg, from California who's also
interested in curriculum development. She has lots of ideas for
experiments, which you can find in the discussion group history.
We've also had interest from a variety of other folks, including
professors, farmers, and nature enthusiasts who may have some ideas or
may be able to comment on yours.

Finally - I'll add you to the contact list once we're ready for the
beta test, should be in a few months.

Greg

--
Greg Austic