introduction from a HS Biology teacher

Paige Prescott

Feb 10, 2014, 9:58:46 AM2/10/14
to phot...@googlegroups.com
Hello-

I'm currently teach HS students at an international school in Bangkok.  I teach IB Biology and there are many areas where our curriculum would overlap and allow for students and teachers to really get a lot out of having access to a tool like this.  I'd like to help in any way possible to develop some curriculum that would potentially be useful for teachers and young adults.  I do highly recommend making videos of the capabilities of your tool- showing the basics of things like how to turn it on, showing it in action and then videos that show the setups for the various tests that are possible and showing the kind of data that can be generated, something akin to what a neuroscience group called Backyard Brains did.

As a non-expert, I might be able to help pare-down the jargon and make it more usable for young adults and teachers.  It would be helpful for me to know if you all have certain educational priorities and near-term goals.  I'd be comfortable using the IB Bio curriculum unit about Plant Science as a way to connect with your project.

I think that projects such as this will have a big demand in the future as science education becomes more about application and less about factual recall.  If anything can interface with a mobile device, all the better to blow open the doors of true inquiry.

looking forward to learning more about this project-
Paige Prescott