Is the weather display working for anyone?

Goldy Gopher

Jul 27, 2023, 4:41:03 PM7/27/23
to PhotoCloud Frame Slideshow
Hello.
Just purchased this app and overall I'm very pleased with it, but I can't get the weather to display.  Not too much to play with in terms of settings, so don't know what I could be doing wrong. I'm in a large metro area (Minneapolis), so there should be data available.  Thought maybe I had to have the OpenWeather app installed on my tablet, or have an OpenWeather acct, but that doesn't seem to be it.  I have a 8 inch Lenovo screen, so perhaps the weather is being pushed off the display, but I figured the most likely scenario is that OpenWeather changed their API so this functionality doesn't work anymore, so I was wondering if it still works for other people.  Thanks for your feedback.

Martin Vysny

Aug 4, 2023, 9:52:31 AM8/4/23
to photoclo...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

  sorry for such a late reply :) You definitely don't have to have the OpenWeather app installed, nor you need an OpenWeather account. You should not need anything really, you only need to do two things:

1. Go to settings, Widget, Location City and select Minneapolis, US. Please try out both, not sure which one is the right one :-D

2. In the same settings screen, make sure the "Show Weather Forecast" is enabled/checked.

That's it! I confirm this works well on my phone and shows the forecast widget in the lower-right part of the screen.

Best regards, Martin

On 27.7.2023 23.41, Goldy Gopher wrote:
Hello.
Just purchased this app and overall I'm very pleased with it, but I can't get the weather to display.  Not too much to play with in terms of settings, so don't know what I could be doing wrong. I'm in a large metro area (Minneapolis), so there should be data available.  Thought maybe I had to have the OpenWeather app installed on my tablet, or have an OpenWeather acct, but that doesn't seem to be it.  I have a 8 inch Lenovo screen, so perhaps the weather is being pushed off the display, but I figured the most likely scenario is that OpenWeather changed their API so this functionality doesn't work anymore, so I was wondering if it still works for other people.  Thanks for your feedback.

Goldy Gopher

Aug 4, 2023, 9:24:37 PM8/4/23
to PhotoCloud Frame Slideshow
Hello Martin,
Thanks for the reply.  I'll keep fiddling with it.  It's good to know that the API does still work.  I think mine must have a problem with formatting.  When I select to display the weather widget, I see nothing if I don't have the clock displayed.  If I do have the clock displayed, I see the clock and then "Today" and "Tomorrow" below the clock, but no information below them.  I tried changing the location from Minneapolis to Chicago, and I tried turning the battery display off and on, turning the clock off and on, and changing the display from landscape to profile and back, but still no weather information.  Honestly, this is a very small point for me, and I'm very happy with the application. Just curious what is going on. I think the information is being displayed off the limits of the screen, but maybe not.  Like I said, I have a 8 inch Lenovo.  Anyway, don't worry about it. Just putting the info here as an FYI. The app is doing its primary function as a picture display very well.  Thanks.
Warren

Martin Vysny

Aug 6, 2023, 1:22:47 AM8/6/23
to photoclo...@googlegroups.com

Hello Warren,

  thank you, I'm happy to hear that the app works for you well :) From what you are telling me, it definitely looks like some kind of layouting issue: the weather information is being pushed off screen. Maybe the issue is present on smaller screens with lower DPIs only? Could you please share a screenshot? Even though the issue is small, I'd still love to take a look, maybe the fix would be straightforward.

Best regards, Martin

Goldy Gopher

Aug 6, 2023, 9:19:37 PM8/6/23
to PhotoCloud Frame Slideshow
Hello again.
I haven't used Google Groups much, so I'm not sure if there's a trick to attaching images, but I will try.  I will attach the System information screen from my tablet (you can see that the Android system is 8.1.0 -- maybe that's the problem??), and then several captures of PhotoCloud running with various widgets activated.  It's interesting that if I don't have the Clock activated, then I don't see anything (you can see that in some of the image captures).  If I do have the Clock widget activated, then I can see part of the Weather widget (Today and Tomorrow labels), but not the info.
Anyway, I would be happy to do any tests, if you like, but also, I have no problem just using the app as it is. As I said, I am happy with the app.
Thanks again for your response.
Warren

Screenshot_20230806-194817.pngScreenshot_20230806-192540.png
Screenshot_20230806-192540.png
Screenshot_20230806-192133.png

Martin Vysny

Aug 8, 2023, 9:34:14 AM8/8/23
to photoclo...@googlegroups.com

Hi Warren,

  thank you for the screenshots. Android 8.1.0 should not be a problem - the app should run on Android 5 and higher.

The "Today/Tomorrow" labels look peculiar - this is how the widget looks like when the app fails to fetch the data from the internet for some reason - could be a firewall, or a timeout. Unfortunately, PhotoCloud doesn't show the error message at the moment, but it logs the errors to the standard Android log.

One way to see the device logs is by following e.g. https://www.android-photo-frame.eu/faq.html#reporting-crashes ; or any youtube video really. This is fairly technical, but I'm sure there are plenty of great Youtube videos demoing how to do this.

Best, Martin

Goldy Gopher

Aug 12, 2023, 10:07:27 AM8/12/23
to PhotoCloud Frame Slideshow
Just wrapping this up from my side.  Martin helped me to check some of the error messages that I was getting using adb-logcat.  Turns out that I couldn't fetch the weather info from OpenWeather because my tablet (which is quite old) was using an old SSL proctocol which is not supported by OpenWeather.  No way to change that in the tablet, and nothing that Martin could fix, obviously, so I will just go without.  If someone is having problems with the weather widget on an old tablet, this COULD be the problem.  Thanks to Martin for looking into it.  Ciao.

Martin Vysny

Aug 16, 2023, 4:34:59 AM8/16/23
to photoclo...@googlegroups.com

Thank you for summarizing our findings! Yet, it was harder to analyze than it should be.

Next version of PhotoCloud will display the error in the weather widget. This way, it will be clear that there is a problem fetching weather data.

Best regards, Martin