Roll Call

mainfr4me

Dec 19, 2008, 11:14:17 AM12/19/08
to PhotoCampMKE
So, I maybe this is only for my benefit, but I don't know everyone so
maybe we can give a short intro to ourselves?

mainfr4me

Dec 19, 2008, 11:15:19 AM12/19/08
to PhotoCampMKE
Name: Erik Helgestad
Aka: mainfr4me

I shoot pretty much anything. I work for a wedding photography studio
currently.

Derek Dysart

Dec 19, 2008, 11:33:25 AM12/19/08
to photoc...@googlegroups.com
Derek Dysart, aka ddysart.

I'd call myself a semi-pro. Photography is not my main source of income,
but I've made enough off my images to more than pay for my equipment. I
mainly shoot child and family portraits as well as lifestyle for stock. My
actual photography business is pretty much in a state of flux, but I do the
occasional job here and there.

I had the idea for doing photocamp almost right after attending BarCampMKE3.
When Pete (who should be showing up around here soon) mentioned in, I jumped
at the opportunity to help organize this.

--
derek dysart | mobile: (262) 758-2456 | blog: http://hirlpoo.com

Brennan Stehling

Dec 19, 2008, 11:57:13 AM12/19/08
to photoc...@googlegroups.com
I am Brennan Stehling and by day I work as a software developer
(mostly web sites) and one of my hobbies is photography. I have a
Canon Rebel XT and I hardly know how to use all the good stuff on it
at this point. I want to learn a lot more. I also want to get my hands
on a reasonably priced photo editing software. CS4 looks great, but I
am not made of money.

Brennan
--
Brennan Stehling
http://brennan.offwhite.net/blog/

rachel....@gmail.com

Dec 19, 2008, 12:00:26 PM12/19/08
to PhotoCampMKE
Rachel Kenison
aka: RachelK
website: flickr.com/rachelk
will have portfolio website up in the next month or so

I'm moving from photography hobbiest to paid photographer. I've done
fashion designer photoshoots, but really, my love affair is with rusty
crusty goodness around the city. Unfortunately you can't get paid for
that. I was thinking about PhotoCamp and was excited to find out
others were already on the train.

Pete Prodoehl

Dec 19, 2008, 12:36:02 PM12/19/08
to PhotoCampMKE
Ok, I am Pete Prodoehl, also commonly known as 'raster' at the various
online places like Flickr, Twitter, etc... I've been involved in
organizing BarCampMilwaukee for the past three years, as well as
helping make DrupalCampWisconsin, and BarCampMadison happen. I also do
a lot with Web414, MilwaukeeDevHouse, and serve on the Board of
Directors at Bucketworks. My daytime job is working at Z2 Marketing as
the VP of Interactive Media, and I also help out at Z2 Photo (our
photo studio) but mainly as a Key Grip and not as much as a shooter
(though I have shot a few things... :) Oh, my nighttime job is running
2XL Networks, a small hosting company that also does some media
production. I just recently got my own DSLR, a Nikon D40, before that
I used the D70 we have at work. I like to shoot studio stuff, outdoor
stuff, and want to do some "fine art" stuff... not interested in doing
weddings or events really, but maybe portraits someday. I've been
using Photoshop since version 1.0.7 so I'm well skilled there.

Wow, is that enough?

Anyway, I'm seasoned at making these *Camp events happen, and want to
help everyone else figure out how it works so people can follow their
passions and share them with others. So I might not take the lead on
any specific task, but I will answer any and all questions and offer
guidance in all things.

Let's do this thing... :)

Pete

Lukas Sparks

Dec 19, 2008, 12:42:26 PM12/19/08
to PhotoCampMKE
Lukas Sparks
@Lukas_Sparks
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lukesparks/collections/

I have been putzing with photography on and off my whole life. It's
not my day job (student / web designer), but I do get paid for the
occasional product or architectural photo, usually related to a
website I am working on. It is something I would love to get more
into.

tapps

Dec 19, 2008, 1:01:35 PM12/19/08
to PhotoCampMKE
tracy lynn apps
aka: @tapps
web: http://tracyapps.org
http://everymoment.org
http://picturequeen.com
http://beersmores.com
(and a bunch others... )
flickr: http://flickr.com/photos/tapps

i'm a full time web designer / css developer. i'm a freelance graphic
designer / web designer / photographer / artist. i would still
consider my photography "hobby", yet i have had hired photographer
jobs in my freelance work. (including weddings, portraits and concert
photography) my favorite type of "art project" is being able to use
several mediums throughout the project. for example with freelance
clients like bands where i get to take the press pictures... photoshop
the heck outta them... create the cd cover design and poster designs..
create merch (tshirts, stickers, buttons, etc)... develop the
website... capture and create a dvd... live concert photography...
etc.

i'm also a social media junkie and lately have been on a kick of un-
conferencing and networking throughout milwaukee and beyond. i will be
organizing the first ever QueerCamp ... right here in milwaukee in
april. (who says milwaukee isn't a hot bed of innovation,
technological advancement and forward thinking? well.. sometimes :-) )

wikignome

Dec 19, 2008, 1:09:12 PM12/19/08
to PhotoCampMKE
I've played about with cameras for 30 years or so, but never very
seriously -- never took a class, don't spend money on equipment or
supplies beyond the basic camera itsownself. SO I'm probably here to
represent the most amateur of the amateur-professional spectrum. But
hey, I do know what "depth of field" means :).

I helped a bunch with the first BarCampMilwaukee, and a little with
the second. I derive utility from seeing information well-organized.

michelle burton

Dec 19, 2008, 1:48:05 PM12/19/08
to PhotoCampMKE
I have always like photography.
I graduated with a BF in Photography at UWM and worked at Helix
Photoart in Milwaukee quite a few years ago.
After graduating I was a digital artist for Worzella Portrait studio
which started me down my graphic/web design path.

I don't shoot much anymore, but still have an interest in photography.
Would like to try and pull out the camera for my web projects.

Currently own Nikon D200 and F100
my last purchase was a couple of pocket wizards ..
still trying to figure that out.

What I really need is more time.. :)
Hoping this group will give me a chance to do some photos again.

Michelle

Simon McConico

Dec 19, 2008, 3:35:28 PM12/19/08
to PhotoCampMKE
I have owned a DSLR for just a little over 3 years now and photography
is a large part of my income. Not as much as my FT job, but it pays
for my equipment. I shot with a Rebel XT for quite a while, upgraded
to a 20d, and now am in line at 4 different places for the Canon 5D MK
II.

I shoot everything from stock photography (http://www.istockphoto.com/
simonmcconico) to weddings, seniors, headshots, and models (http://
www.simonmcconico.com).

I plan on going full time photography in the summer as soon as my
weddings kick in. I have used, and do use lighting, from Alien Bee's
to small flash's a la strobist. I dont really do much shooting of
nature and landscape, but put a person in the mix and I am all over
it.

If I can help I am up for that. Always really busy, but let me know
what I can do to help.

Bob Israel

Dec 19, 2008, 5:23:48 PM12/19/08
to PhotoCampMKE
Hi everyone. I just found this through the post on the Flickr Cream
City group. Great idea! As for me, I've been making images since the
early 80s but since digital, I've been obsessed, but in a good way.
I've made enough from my photography (portrait, wedding, fine art) to
pay for my equipment including my new 5D Mark II. My first solo
gallery show opens in mid-January at the Light Ideas gallery in the
Third Ward, called Death of a Revolution.

Most of my shooting is landscape but I love urban decay. I'm a member
of CoPA (http://www.copamilwaukee.com) which is a great group of
photographers. I have a website (http://www.rjiphotography.com) which
I desperately want to improve. I also have a blog at
http://mydailywanderings.blogspot.com/.

I like the idea of this camp. If my day job allows, I would love to
pitch in where I can.

Bob

Mike McCallister

Dec 19, 2008, 6:12:25 PM12/19/08
to photoc...@googlegroups.com
I can challenge wikignome for the low-end-of-the-spectrum title. My photography experience is pretty much limited to vacations and political events, leaving aside screen shots for software documentation. I'm not 100% certain of this, but the camera that came with my Palm Zire may be the first photographic device I've ever owned. It may also tell you something about me that "Read the Zire Camera Help" has been on my to-do list since September. That said, I really enjoy and admire good photography and would certainly like to try my hand at it. I think I know what "depth of field" means, too.

So what am I doing here? I'm a writer and open source software user/advocate. I can tell you a little about The GIMP (the open source Photoshop) and some of the free photo cataloging/album applications out there.
PhotoCampMKE certainly represents a golden opportunity for me to learn more; I love BarCamps and can help to whatever extent I can.

I've invited my wife and daughter (who are indeed the skilled photographers in the family) to this group, and I hope they can come, and get involved to one degree or another.

Mike McCallister
Technical Writing Consultant, Compuware
Author, "openSUSE Linux Unleashed" -- at bookstores now!
Notes from the Metaverse: http://metaverse.wordpress.com

Paul

Dec 20, 2008, 1:01:53 PM12/20/08
to PhotoCampMKE
Thanks Pete for the invite.

Paul Stillmank also found on the web under “paulstil”.

I am more into the outdoor scene with my photography: wildlife and
landscapes. You can check out my work at www.paulstillmankphotography.com

I am an extreme fly-fisherman – this took me into the northern rockies
and I got into photography form there. Strictly an amateur, I have
received some nice compliments on some of my work. Although I own a
copy of "Photographer's Market", I have not spent the time to try to
sell any of my photos. I am interested in exploring this through this
group and event.

Paul

Douglas Whitfield

Dec 20, 2008, 1:54:34 PM12/20/08
to PhotoCampMKE
I did some production (film and video) work in college, but wasn't
really a production major, more media studies.

I've never been serious about photography, but you can see my pictures
at http://flickr.com/photos/dawhitfield

I am mostly interested in PhotoCampMKE from a digital media and
openness standpoint. I was one of the primary organizers for
www.openeverything.us

svd...@gmail.com

Dec 20, 2008, 5:32:01 PM12/20/08
to PhotoCampMKE
Hi, I'm Sam, and I've been shooting for a while. Started on film, took
the digital leap and have since run out of hard drive space every week
following.

I'll photograph almost anything and always try to pay attention and
find interesting things to shoot. I most enjoy portraits, macro, and
anything else casual. I'm no pro, but I'd like to get close to it at
some point.

Worked in IT, played with computers since I was little. I'm always
learning about almost anything, from anyone and anywhere.

Tech details: Nikon D300 et al, Pentax, Canon, Leica, Holga. Anything
else that clicks.

James Carlson

Dec 20, 2008, 5:46:34 PM12/20/08
to photoc...@googlegroups.com
I love taking pictures of the very small--I use mostly Canon SLR products, and my main project (which has been stalled during equipment upgrades) is the Eyes of Gaia: http://www.bucketworks.org/eyes/index.html

I'm also very interested in timelapse photography, and have done a number of timelapse sequences of people making things at Bucketworks using both SLR and point and shoot cameras (although not SLR anymore, because, hey, there's only so many frames you can take with those and it's very easy to run up 50,000 shots doing timelapse!)

I'm very excited about PhotoCamp!

James Carlson
Director, Bucketworks: The world's first health club for the brain
My direct line: 414-405-2701
1340 N 6th St
Check our schedule at www.bucketworks.org
Where do you 'what if' together?

Pete Prodoehl

Dec 20, 2008, 8:02:59 PM12/20/08
to photoc...@googlegroups.com

Doug, I definitely want to talk about openness and Creative Commons
in relation to photography. We have a lot of local people who use
"All right reserved" and who won't upload anything but lo-res images,
and some that watermark their images... I think it's worth discussing
the value of being open.

Pete

Sara Puls

Dec 20, 2008, 11:36:25 PM12/20/08
to PhotoCampMKE
Hello Everyone,

I'm a hobby photographer gone awry. I shoot for money, meaning that I
sell my photographs through various means, and work for hire. I don't
do weddings or any of the traditional stuff though. I shoot mainly
pet and kids and shoot exclusively using natural light and don't
generally ask anyone to pose for me (and don't use expensive studio
backdrops or lighting). I do all what I like to call "stealth"
photography as I feel this is the best way to capture my subjects in
an authentic way. As far as art photography goes I love demolition
and decay, especially if it's urban.

I've had an interest in photography for a very long time, but got
sucked in by the immediacy of digital. I got my first DSLR about four
years ago and felt empowered when I did, though I also had a great
Olympus digital point and shoot to introduce me to digital photography
and I got very good at manipulating "auto" mode to get it to do what I
wanted it to. I also now shoot in black and white film, but my film
camera body is on the fritz right now. I have a Holga, but have done
very little with it. Film and processing is expensive if no one is
commissioning you to cover the costs!

As my website says, digital is simply a faster means to an end for me
-- I don't do any major editing to my digital photos -- so I have only
a basic understanding of editing software.

By day I work for a nonprofit consulting company and occasionally get
to photograph events and urban places for that purpose, but my
photography work is otherwise strictly freelance. I could probably
make a full time living doing photography if I had to, but currently
only do it when called upon by customers or subjects. After all, if I
had to depend on it to make a living, then it would be a job and I
wouldn't enjoy it as much. :)

Sara

Gabriel Wollenburg

Dec 22, 2008, 12:13:52 AM12/22/08
to photoc...@googlegroups.com
I am Gabe. I take photos of my family and post them at my little
website called writelarge.com. I'm actually a writer, but I have
always had a great love of photography, but I don't really have the
skills I wish and/or think I do.
One of the things I love about digital photogrpahy is that it has
allowed me to perfect my quantity over quality techniques. I _shoot_
a lot of frames in hopes that one or two of them will be fairly
acceptable. My flickr stream reflects this. When it's not cluttered up
with videogame screenshots.

I actually don't have a nice camera of my own, but I enjoy using my
employers cannon gear when I can get my hands on it.

I've been a hobbyist documentary videographer maker a lot longer than
I've practiced still photography seriously-- I learned and was trained
on in-line tape editors, but I have recently started to play with
FInal Cut Pro and DV.

sc...@scottfeldstein.net

Dec 22, 2008, 10:20:56 AM12/22/08
to PhotoCampMKE
Howdy, folks. I'm Scott Feldstein <http://scottfeldstein.net>. By
day I work at Marquette University in the area of e-learning and
educational technology. I am also a part-time wedding photographer
<http://feldsteinphotography.com>. My experience with photography
really began almost seven or eight years ago when I bought a really
nice point-and-shoot digital: a Canon G2.

Shortly after I stepped up to a DSLR (Nikon D50) friends started
asking me to shoot their weddings. I always said no, until one time I
didn't. I was so pleased with the result that I decided to really
gear up and hang out my shingle. So far it's been really great and I
have managed to get all the business I want (at least one job a month
on average). I have done some other kinds of photography, but mostly
it's weddings that I get paid for.

On my own time I like to take candid, natural light portraits. I also
like to shoot dogs, sports and the occasional still life or landscape.

Today I'm shooting a Nikon D300 and a small collection of fast lenses
for indoor work. Over the last year or so I've also started exploring
off-camera flash using Nikon's Creative Lighting System, though I
don't consider myself a full-fledged "strobist" yet.

I have participated a couple of times in the Milwaukee-area monthly
photo walks.

pxn8tr-JenAnne

Dec 27, 2008, 2:37:41 PM12/27/08
to PhotoCampMKE
Hi! from JenAnne/pxn8tr in Madison
BarCampMKE2 participant, BarCampMSN2 early-stage helper
Marketing Communications manager for The Man (and some women)
Sculptor/mixed media artist (www.artout-there.com)

Reluctantly embraced the digital age of photography. Started with some
cheap Pentax box with flash cubes in 6th grade, and refined my pre-
digital processing skills in the darkrooms of the UW-Madison's Daily
Cardinal newspaper and the Memorial Union. I admit there is a certain
romance I miss about the darkroom; the intimacy of the closed-in space
with the red light, the goofs who would barge in ignoring the
"development in progress" sign, yes even the smell of chemicals -
getting to touch the developing images with my fingers under water, so
fragile. Rolling my own rolls of film with the bulk loader, shooting
black and white at the time when it just started to become "art-y" to
still do so, and you had to keep track of the few places in town who'd
develop the film.

I no longer save up for the latest lenses and filters. I still own one
(or maybe two) SLR cameras, untouched for years. I have a small
digital camera for which I can't recite the make and model. I think
that's a good thing - digital photography has freed me up from all the
processes you can invoke to make photographs, I took them too
seriously and they got so all-encompassing that I stopped doing
photography at all. With my little digital I'm doing photos again and
very happy about it!

Mike Rohde

Dec 29, 2008, 2:04:16 PM12/29/08
to photocampMKE List
Hello from Mike Rohde in Milwaukee. I'm a graphic and web designer, art
director, logo and icon designer by day and night. I love photography too.

I'm an amateur who just enjoys taking photos. No particular equipment,
though I've shot, rolled, and developed film and have played with all kinds
of cameras over the years.

I kind of collect old cameras (twin lens reflex, etc.) for fun, but
generally like shooting with a small Canon SD point and shoot because it's
easy to carry and use.

Really enjoy photowalks and observing things from a different perspective.
I'd be interested in checking out PhotoCamp to learn some things from
better/pro photographers that I can apply to my shooting and compositions.

Mike

---
Mike Rohde | mi...@rohdesign.com | http://www.rohdesign.com
2009 Sketchtoon Coffee Calendar: http://tinyurl.com/sketchtoon-calendar

Pete Prodoehl

Dec 29, 2008, 2:09:48 PM12/29/08
to photoc...@googlegroups.com

And... if we need a logo, or something designed for PhotoCampMilwaukee,
Mike is a great resource. :)

Pete

--
RasterWeb!
http://rasterweb.net/raster/

Rich Ritter

Jan 2, 2009, 4:14:40 AM1/2/09
to PhotoCampMKE
Hi group,

Joined up via Cream City group in Flickr. ( http://www.flickr.com/groups/creamcitymilwaukee/
)
I am newer to photography, have done it intensely in the past couple
months, learning more and more.
Have an older Canon Rebel DSLR which I've had for three years now and
a few nice lenses, etc. I've been doing and learning all sorts of
shots, and would LOVE to go to this event.
My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31356853@N08/

See you all there!

Kevin Ciesielski

Jan 2, 2009, 1:17:59 PM1/2/09
to photoc...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

My name is Kevin Ciesielski and I am a volunteer at Bucketworks and a Web Developer by day.  I started serious photography about 8 years ago with a N65.  Only recently did I make the DSLR jump to a D70.  After my first 20k frames shot this summer and fall I really can tell my pictures have improved this year and I now shoot almost totally in manual.  I cannot wait for photocamp because it will be a great master class weekend now that understand my camera.  I am totally looking forward to the strobist stuff.  I wan to volunteer to be the point person for facilities management for the load-in and weekends events.

twitter: @KeVroN
fickr http://flickr.com/photos/kevron

kevinbehringer

Jan 3, 2009, 11:36:25 AM1/3/09
to PhotoCampMKE
Hello!

My name is Kevin Behringer. I live in Whitewater and I would love an
event like this.

I'm an amateur, just taking photos for fun. Lots of family events, but
I try to get out and take some time for some photography. One thing I
want to do in 09 is step up not only my efforts but my understanding
of photography and an event like this would be great!

I'm currently shooting with a Pentax DSLR and a variety of lenses.

Kevin

On Jan 2, 3:14 am, Rich Ritter <richritte...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi group,
>
> Joined up via Cream City group in Flickr. (http://www.flickr.com/groups/creamcitymilwaukee/

Jacob

Jan 23, 2009, 9:25:14 AM1/23/09
to PhotoCampMKE
Hi All,

I'm Jacob Ela, I'm a System Administrator/Programmer for the CS
Department at UW-Madison. BCMadison1 and BCMKE2/3 folks may recognize
me.

I've been into photography since I was little, but didn't get really
going at it until I came to Madison as an undergrad. Got a RebelXT
and started shooting for the Daily Cardinal, one of the student papers
on campus, and was elected to be one of two Photo Editors the
following year. Having completed my time there and graduated, I spent
the summer freelancing for The Capital Times and also did jobs for
Valpraiso University and Der Spiegel while I was unsuccessfully job
hunting, but eventually scored my job at CS and stopped shooting for
cash.

I love photo events like this one and I'm looking forward to see what
I can teach and learn in May. I'll see if I can't get recruit some of
the DC photogs to come spill their beans too.