Lenses... Hacking & DIY

1 view

Pete Prodoehl

Feb 17, 2009, 3:43:00 PM2/17/09
to PhotoCampMKE
Has anyone played with making their own lenses or weird adapters?

Something like this:

http://www.crackbabies.we.bs/

or this:

http://www.creativepro.com/article/build-a-tilt-shift-camera-lens-peanuts

I'm considering trying to get some old/broken cameras/lenses to
experiment with. (I used to be really into optics years and years
ago.)

Pete

Rich Ritter

Feb 18, 2009, 4:57:27 AM2/18/09
to PhotoCampMKE
I don't have any lenses or adapters, but I have made my I've made my
own lighting sets. Along with my own homemade flash diffusors, I have
a reflective light set that I made out of a utility light that I
picked up at Home Depot along with a cheap tripod to mount it on. It
has both incandescent and the new "green" bulbs, at 40 and 100 watt
each . I also have them at natural lighting as well. (high Kelvin
temp) You'd be amazed at what you can save. Mine all together cost me
maybe $50-$65 and if I bought it all in a camera shop it would have
run me at least $300. I also painted the back of the reflector flat
black for looks, so it really does look neat. I also have a set of
modern bicycle lights both red and high kelvin blue that make
excellent small spots.