I am looking for a good quality used digital camera ..

Nish

Sep 24, 2007, 11:37:12 PM9/24/07
to Photography in Sri Lanka
Hi Guys,
I am looking for a good quality "USED" Digital Camera, because I am
not in a position to invest for a new one at this stage. I don't have
a upper limit of the budget, but It should definitely worth the price
I will be paying.

Any help regarding this matter is highly appreciated :)

-Nish

Syed Rehan

Sep 25, 2007, 12:53:08 AM9/25/07
to phot...@googlegroups.com
Hi

Could you be a bit more specific about the type you are looking for? I mean are you interested in DSLR? or any point and shoot will be fine?

regards

Luki de Silva

Sep 25, 2007, 11:51:33 AM9/25/07
to phot...@googlegroups.com
If you are looking for a point-n-shoot, a camera that is excellent and
provides value for money is the Canon PowerShot A560. This sells for about
US$ 135/- in the US for a brand new. The Canon A-range has always been
awesome point and shoots. They are not as slim and sexy (and more expensive)
as the SD series, but the optics in the A's are much better. Also, these
cams need AA batteries as compared to rechargeable custom batteries in the
SDs.

Cheers,
Luki

Chamil Thanthrimudalige

Sep 25, 2007, 12:02:11 PM9/25/07
to phot...@googlegroups.com
I agree with Luki you can buy a Canon A series for a reasonable price.
Unless you are planning to buy a second hand SLR the A series will be
a great option.

Chamil
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chamilt/

Nish

Sep 27, 2007, 11:44:51 AM9/27/07
to Photography in Sri Lanka
Hi Guys,
Thanks for the really constructive responses. Frankly I prefer DSLR
because it gives the more controllability (FYI: I am not a beginner, I
have previous experiences with SLR - Minolta X300s)..

@Luki ,
Thank you, But since I am in Sri Lanka, I think the cam you are
mentioning will be cost more in Sri Lanka, but I agree its worth
trying, if I couldn't get a good deal with a DSLR.

@Syed,
I hope the reply to Luki will clarify your question too..

Again, Thank you for all the responses :)

-Nish

On Sep 25, 9:02 pm, "Chamil Thanthrimudalige" <cham...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I agree with Luki you can buy a Canon A series for a reasonable price.
> Unless you are planning to buy a second hand SLR the A series will be
> a great option.
>

> Chamilhttp://www.flickr.com/photos/chamilt/

Vishwa Aluthge

Sep 28, 2007, 12:00:47 AM9/28/07
to phot...@googlegroups.com
Cool.

the problem is that there is not much of a second hand DSLR market in SL due to the fact that DSLR's hv come to widespread use (if you can call it that) only in the past few years. And Sri lankan's tend to keep an increased cycle time for their toys than some other countries .. :P

BTW,  how much clicks can a digital shutter take before it has to be re-furbished/replaced?
--
Vishwa - Rex Quondam, Rexque Futurus !
~¡Si no puedes vivir por tu país - dejarlo!~

Syed Rehan

Sep 28, 2007, 2:23:50 AM9/28/07
to phot...@googlegroups.com
Well,

Provided other things remain constant (climate, use, normal wear & tear) I guess it will be around over 100,000 clicks (roughly). Check this out

http://olegkikin.com/shutterlife

to find more information

regards

Vishwa Aluthge

Sep 28, 2007, 5:01:26 AM9/28/07
to phot...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the link Syed - interesting info there albeit based on the accuracy of user input to the site.

So I guess you really wouldn't want to buy a cam that has been used extensively for a long period of time.

Sorry Nish for not being able to help you here .. I'm also looking at a DSLR - a brand new one in my case.

A D80 is available in SL for 140-145K with kit lens if that's within your reach.
400D's and D40X's are available for less.

Nish

Sep 28, 2007, 10:11:38 PM9/28/07
to Photography in Sri Lanka
Hi,
Thank you Vish. I think 140-145K will be too much for a hobby (I am
trying to get a new one through a friend from Singapore or US). I
agree that Sri Lankans are tend to use toys more than other
countries.

On Sep 28, 2:01 pm, "Vishwa Aluthge" <vishwa.alut...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the link Syed - interesting info there albeit based on the
> accuracy of user input to the site.
>
> So I guess you really wouldn't want to buy a cam that has been used
> extensively for a long period of time.
>
> Sorry Nish for not being able to help you here .. I'm also looking at a DSLR
> - a brand new one in my case.
>
> A D80 is available in SL for 140-145K with kit lens if that's within your
> reach.
> 400D's and D40X's are available for less.
>

> On 9/28/07, Syed Rehan <syed.re...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Well,
>
> > Provided other things remain constant (climate, use, normal wear & tear) I
> > guess it will be around over 100,000 clicks (roughly). Check this out
>
> >http://olegkikin.com/shutterlife
>
> > to find more information
>
> > regards
>

> > On 9/28/07, Vishwa Aluthge <vishwa.alut...@gmail.com > wrote:
>
> > > Cool.
>
> > > the problem is that there is not much of a second hand DSLR market in SL
> > > due to the fact that DSLR's hv come to widespread use (if you can call it
> > > that) only in the past few years. And Sri lankan's tend to keep an increased
> > > cycle time for their toys than some other countries .. :P
>
> > > BTW, how much clicks can a digital shutter take before it has to be
> > > re-furbished/replaced?

Syed Rehan

Sep 29, 2007, 5:51:22 AM9/29/07
to phot...@googlegroups.com
Ok,

I went to see the Photography Exhibition, only thing which I thought interesting for me was the Stall right at the entrance (from Printing Exhibition entrance on the left). they are selling Batteries, flash guns, and some other accessories. So if you are looking for additional batteries for Cannons or Nikons i think it worth checking out, price seems good (2500 for a 400D's battery was a wow).

Nish, there is a stall selling new and used DSLRS, you may like to check that one, the guy name is "Gamage" you will be able to find the stall in the middle part of the hall.

Oh yes, if anyone interested SL Photography Association's stall is there, they are collecting membership forms (for Rs 100)

regards

Syed

Nish

Sep 29, 2007, 12:20:14 PM9/29/07
to Photography in Sri Lanka
Thank you syed. Thats an interesting news. I will try to visit the
exhibition on Sunday.
Thanks
-Nish

On Sep 29, 2:51 pm, "Syed Rehan" <syed.re...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok,
>
> I went to see the Photography Exhibition, only thing which I thought
> interesting for me was the Stall right at the entrance (from Printing
> Exhibition entrance on the left). they are selling Batteries, flash guns,
> and some other accessories. So if you are looking for additional batteries
> for Cannons or Nikons i think it worth checking out, price seems good (2500
> for a 400D's battery was a wow).
>
> Nish, there is a stall selling new and used DSLRS, you may like to check
> that one, the guy name is "Gamage" you will be able to find the stall in the
> middle part of the hall.
>
> Oh yes, if anyone interested SL Photography Association's stall is there,
> they are collecting membership forms (for Rs 100)
>
> regards
>
> Syed

Chamil Thanthrimudalige

Sep 29, 2007, 10:48:26 PM9/29/07
to phot...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I also saw the battery place but it was a battery that they make so I
DO NOT recommend buying it unless it is a for a really cheap cam. You
don't want to do some think to that 100k 400D by buying some crap
battery. I think if there is a prob with a 3rd party battery the
warranty is void. So DO NOT buy batteries from there for any Canon
DSLRs... but if u have a Nikon ;-) Ok ok I am just kidding don't buy
for any Nikons either :D

The place for me to check out was the Ninehearts stall. It has some
nice lighting equipment and some reflectors too. Also the Metropolitan
store had some nice lenses that you could try out.

WARNING :: if you buy any thing from one of those Indian stores make
sure u have a local agent for them.

Chamil
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chamilt/

Vishwa Aluthge

Sep 30, 2007, 11:07:39 PM9/30/07
to phot...@googlegroups.com
On 9/29/07, Nish <nish...@india.com> wrote:

Thank you syed. Thats an interesting news. I will try to visit the
exhibition on Sunday.
Thanks
-Nish

Hi Nish - any luck at the exhibition?
Unfortunately I couldn't make it to the exhibition - Sayed, what sort of camera's did this Gamage guy have?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said,
but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Syed Rehan

Oct 1, 2007, 12:20:15 PM10/1/07
to phot...@googlegroups.com
Quite a bit of variety he had, Canon 30D, Nikon D40,etc

I will try to get his phone no if you want to, let me know

Vishwa Aluthge

Oct 1, 2007, 11:43:23 PM10/1/07
to phot...@googlegroups.com
Pls do - thanks in advance.