Help on DSLR

Indika

Dec 8, 2008, 5:19:44 AM12/8/08
to Photography in Sri Lanka
Hi,

Need some opinions from the experts here on a entry level DSLR.
It is great if you can specify a place to buy in SL as well.

Regards,
Indika

Asela

Dec 8, 2008, 5:27:12 AM12/8/08
to phot...@googlegroups.com

Post your question over here

there are any active photographers to help you out.

Chamil Thanthrimudalige

Dec 8, 2008, 5:33:29 AM12/8/08
to phot...@googlegroups.com
I say go for either Canon 400D or the 450D.

TC
Chamil
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chamilt/

Asela

Dec 8, 2008, 5:39:43 AM12/8/08
to phot...@googlegroups.com
All depend on his need and likes,

Without knowing anything about his needs and budget I cant say go for Model/Brand.  There are few more reputable brands and dozen  entry level DSLR available in market. Now its not like in film age, you have to depend on body functions in most of time

Upul Rodrigo

Dec 8, 2008, 5:44:29 AM12/8/08
to phot...@googlegroups.com
qted from a web site :

Hi Chris

Some generalizations for you:

Buy Canon if you are a retard.
(Canon users always talk about IQ as something the camera has)

Buy Nikon if you are convinced that it is the camera that takes the pictures.
(Nikon users says stuff like "My camera takes great pictures")

Buy Sony if you don't mind getting f**ked by Sony
(Well its Sony... and Sony is out to f**k you.)
Qtd from a site :

Buy Leica if you got the money and want to show it.
(Goes nicely with that LV bag you stole from your (ex)wife)

Buy Olympus if you are really convinced that the kit is smaller.
(Like those 5 grams makes all the difference)

Buy Pentax if you just don't give a F**K any more
(Pentax users just don't care any more......)

Buy Sigma if you got a retinal dysfunction
(front-focus, back-focus who cares anyway)

Buy Fujifilm if you need that Velvia feel.
(Least color accurate on the market... Just like the film).

Buy Panasonic if your Olympus kit is too big
(So the Oly was too big for you... Maybe Pana has a fix).

Regards
Jens

PS! Please don't shoot the messenger, its all stuff I picked up on the forums here....

PPS! Chris, the cameras are quite similar, the brands however are not. Buy whatever you feel like, can afford and be happy :-)

Chamil Thanthrimudalige

Dec 8, 2008, 5:45:22 AM12/8/08
to phot...@googlegroups.com
Well I say always to go for the best brand and also look at support and also about way forward after you first DSLR.

I say if you are finiky about Canon then go for Nikon. Don't go for any thing else. You will always have issue finding stuff and selling the stuff u have to buy new stuff. And most importantly they have the best equipment in the business... well unless you are going to a medium format cam or a micro 3/4.

--
Chamil Thanthrimudalige
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chamilt/

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed - Dwight David Eisenhower (1890 – 1969)

Asela

Dec 8, 2008, 5:52:56 AM12/8/08
to phot...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 9:45 PM, Chamil Thanthrimudalige <cha...@gmail.com> wrote:
Well I say always to go for the best brand and also look at support and also about way forward after you first DSLR.

I say if you are finiky about Canon then go for Nikon. Don't go for any thing else. You will always have issue finding stuff and selling the stuff u have to buy new stuff. And most importantly they have the best equipment in the business... well unless you are going to a medium format cam or a micro 3/4.

I disagree,

There is no such thing called best brand.  All brands have there pros and cons,
Canon, Nikon, Pentex, Olympus, Sony and many more to choose.  In my case I am Canon user for 15 years, I love my equipment, But I never tell other brands are not good like canon.

Anuradha Ratnaweera

Dec 8, 2008, 11:13:20 AM12/8/08
to phot...@googlegroups.com
On 12/8/08, Chamil Thanthrimudalige <cha...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I say if you are finiky about Canon then go for Nikon. Don't go for any
> thing else. You will always have issue finding stuff and selling the stuff u
> have to buy new stuff.

I totally agree with Chamil here.

Most lens producers such as Tamron and Sigma make sure that their
lenses are available for Canon and Nikon, being the most popular
brands. So you'll find it easy to find parts if you go for Canon or
Nikon.

I own a Suzuki Jimny. Although I never regret for a moment about my
decision to buy it, when it comes to buy spare parts, it's not as easy
as a Toyota, mostly I have to buy from the official dealer at a
premium price. You'll be in the same boat if you go for a less
popular brand.

My personal preference is with Canon, although I am playing with a
Mamiya RZ67 Pro IID these days. ;-)

http://www.mamiya.com/rz67-pro-iid.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RZ67

It's not definitely a beginner's camera, I just wanted to say I am not
a 100% Canon user. ;-)

Anuradha
--
http://www.sayura.net/anuradha/

Anuradha Ratnaweera

Dec 8, 2008, 11:21:49 AM12/8/08
to phot...@googlegroups.com
Nice!

When you said "don't shoot messenger", how about the photographic
meaning of the word shoot? ;-)

On 12/8/08, Upul Rodrigo <upul.r...@gmail.com> wrote:
> qted from a web site :
>

> Hi Chris
>
> Some generalizations for you:
>

> Buy* Canon* if you are a retard.

> (Canon users always talk about IQ as something the camera has)
>

> Buy* Nikon* if you are convinced that it is the camera that takes the

> pictures.
> (Nikon users says stuff like "My camera takes great pictures")
>

> Buy *Sony* if you don't mind getting f**ked by Sony

> (Well its Sony... and Sony is out to f**k you.)
> Qtd from a site :
>

> Buy *Leica *if you got the money and want to show it.

> (Goes nicely with that LV bag you stole from your (ex)wife)
>

> Buy *Olympus *if you are really convinced that the kit is smaller.

> (Like those 5 grams makes all the difference)
>

> Buy *Pentax *if you just don't give a F**K any more

> (Pentax users just don't care any more......)
>

> Buy *Sigma *if you got a retinal dysfunction

> (front-focus, back-focus who cares anyway)
>

> Buy *Fujifilm *if you need that Velvia feel.

> (Least color accurate on the market... Just like the film).
>

> Buy *Panasonic *if your Olympus kit is too big

> (So the Oly was too big for you... Maybe Pana has a fix).
>
> Regards
> Jens
>
> PS! Please don't shoot the messenger, its all stuff I picked up on the
> forums here....
>

> *PPS! Chris, the cameras are quite similar, the brands however are not. Buy
> whatever you feel like, can afford and be happy :-) *

Vishwa Aluthge

Dec 8, 2008, 10:06:44 PM12/8/08
to phot...@googlegroups.com
I don't suppose Indika's question was answered here - may be on flickr - but same as here - the opinions will be highly divided.

If you're planning to buy it here (SL), you're certainly trading off the price as you might be able to get it for a little lesser in certain countries (far eastern). But you will hv the advantage of having a dealer to go back easily for the warranty.

In the same vein, the official dealers in SL (Phototechnica, Metropolitan, Seidles) are way too expensive.

And sometime, you can buy from individuals (brand new) for a slightly lesser price (for example there was a D90 advertised on Sunday Times HitAd this week for 140K - cheaper the Phototechnica but considerable expensive than Thailand or Singapore where it's around 115k).

Cheers.
--
Vishwa - Rex Quondam, Rexque Futurus !
~¡Si no puedes vivir por tu país - dejarlo!~

Indika De Silva

Dec 8, 2008, 10:48:24 PM12/8/08
to phot...@googlegroups.com
Thanks people.
Even I'm opted for Canon 400D or 450D.
Any idea about their new 1000D?
I heard there is a place called panama or something is it good?
--
IndikaForever®
Proud to be a Sri Lankan

Upul Rodrigo

Dec 8, 2008, 10:48:56 PM12/8/08
to phot...@googlegroups.com
@ Indika,

it will be very difficult to answer to your "direct' question directly.

To give you a somewhat 'reasonable' answer,
1. what is your budget?

2. what made you to go for a DSLR?

3. what is your photographic background? (film / P&S/ prosumer / any courses followed)

4. Do you have any lenses at the moment.

6. what is your area of interest? wild life / functions / portraits/ landscape / general etc (your lenses requirement, where you will be spending more than the camera itself)

5. Would you like to consider a 'interim' prosumer cam instead, if you dont have already. (around Rs 35,000/and There are many brands to select from.)  Highly recommend this option as a stepladder (if you are new to the field) before you move on to DSLR. this comes with aboout 18-20 opt zoom to super macro and with most DSLR functions, with a saving on lesnes. When you start using this for about 1yr, you will self-answer your question. During this period, study about different brand and models, and save cash for your next step.
My photo stream entirely by Prosumer a Cam and a P&S.

And on Brnaded (Canon Nokon) Vs all others, this is certainly a important factor only if you are going for a DSLR.
Yes, with branded machine you have a flexibitly in selecting lenses / services / spares, but that doesnt mean they are the best cameras in the world. Everything depends on your budget.

There are no so called 'best cams' of the world. Todays best cam, tomorrows obsolete. But lenses dont.

Asela

Dec 8, 2008, 10:55:15 PM12/8/08
to phot...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 2:48 PM, Indika De Silva <indik...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks people.
Even I'm opted for Canon 400D or 450D.
Any idea about their new 1000D?

I think first you better study about specs before jump into one model.

visit www.dpreview.com and look around and read some reviews.

If you can give us little bit more information about your needs and your current position in Photography.

Do you have any exp with film SLR, do you currently have any digital camera (P&S).  etc

I heard there is a place called panama or something is it good?

no personal exp for cameras, so no comments.

Indika De Silva

Dec 8, 2008, 11:24:31 PM12/8/08
to phot...@googlegroups.com
I'm not new to photography.
I have two film SLRs and normal digicam. I want go for a DSLR but do ahve budgetry constraints, therefore looking for a entry level DSLR.

Asela

Dec 8, 2008, 11:35:01 PM12/8/08
to phot...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 3:24 PM, Indika De Silva <indik...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm not new to photography.
I have two film SLRs and normal digicam. I want go for a DSLR but do ahve budgetry constraints, therefore looking for a entry level DSLR.

Now you are talking

what is your film SLR? do you have lenses that could be use on digital body?
(eg, if you have film Canon EOS body then you can use any EF mount lens on Canon Digital body)

Upul Rodrigo

Dec 9, 2008, 12:35:32 AM12/9/08
to phot...@googlegroups.com

Vishwa Aluthge

Dec 9, 2008, 4:38:38 AM12/9/08
to phot...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 10:05 AM, Asela <asel...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 3:24 PM, Indika De Silva <indik...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm not new to photography.
I have two film SLRs and normal digicam. I want go for a DSLR but do ahve budgetry constraints, therefore looking for a entry level DSLR.

Now you are talking

what is your film SLR? do you have lenses that could be use on digital body?
(eg, if you have film Canon EOS body then you can use any EF mount lens on Canon Digital body)
Exactly - anyhow you can visit Panama Traders on MC 3rd floor (there is a new shop with DSLR's on 3rd floor as well), even if to hv a look around.
I don't think much of the 1000D at all - but then, I hv never been a canon fan.

aps

Dec 19, 2008, 4:22:49 AM12/19/08
to phot...@googlegroups.com
Give me a call 071-4213551

Rukshan Dissanayake

Dec 19, 2008, 6:13:34 AM12/19/08
to phot...@googlegroups.com
I bought a Canon 450D and i'm really happy with it.

I don't think there is much of a diferrence between 450D and 1000D.
1000D is a bit cheaper and it's more than enough for a beginner.

-Rukshan