Google maps changes

Jim Easterbrook

May 3, 2018, 3:37:12 AM5/3/18
to pho...@googlegroups.com
Friends,

Google maps have just announced that they require every API key to have
an associated billing account, with credit card details, so they can
charge if monthly usage goes above $200.

I am not going to give them my credit card details, so Photini's Google
maps tab will probably stop working after June 11th 2018.
--
Jim Easterbrook <http://www.jim-easterbrook.me.uk/>

Klaus Wehrlin

Jul 26, 2020, 1:06:03 PM7/26/20
to photini
Hi Jim,

I just installed - and like - your Phoyini!

But I get an error message:

ERROR: photini.photinimap: https://www.bing.com/rb/3A/cj,nj/pIXlj0pHS6HMl-coAoGxo13CX_8.js?bu=B7IFxwXiBeQFpAXnBbcF line 1: The specified credentials are invalid. You can sign up for a free developer account at http://www.bingmapsportal.com

I have applied and (think) received a "Developer Account" which I do not otherwise need, but still get that error message on Bing Map

What is the solution?

Kind regards
Klaus Wehrlin
35 Vigne Lane

Greyton

ZA-7233

Jim Easterbrook

Jul 26, 2020, 1:12:49 PM7/26/20
to pho...@googlegroups.com
On 26/07/2020 13:08, Klaus Wehrlin wrote:

> But I get an error message:
>
> ERROR: photini.photinimap:
> https://www.bing.com/rb/3A/cj,nj/pIXlj0pHS6HMl-coAoGxo13CX_8.js?bu=B7IFxwXiBeQFpAXnBbcF
> line 1: The specified credentials are invalid. You can sign up for a
> free developer account at http://www.bingmapsportal.com

I think you need to update Photini - I use new keys with each version or
two and disable keys for obsolete versions. Changes to map terms and
conditions mean I have to do this if older versions of Photini don't
comply with current terms & conditions.

> I have applied and (think) received a "Developer Account" which I do not
> otherwise need, but still get that error message on Bing Map

Well you could get your own API key and make Photini use it, but it
should be easier to upgrade Photini.

Klaus Wehrlin

Aug 8, 2020, 3:49:34 PM8/8/20
to pho...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Jim,
Sounds good to me, problem is: I am not very proficient with my Ubuntu 20.04, and the only guide I could find to install Photini on Ubuntu sadly installs an old version.
Can you guide me to a newer version of installation guide?

Thanks for your help
Klaus

Jim Easterbrook

Aug 9, 2020, 4:39:05 AM8/9/20
to pho...@googlegroups.com
On 08/08/2020 20:49, Klaus Wehrlin wrote:
> Sounds good to me, problem is: I am not very proficient with my Ubuntu
> 20.04, and the only guide I could find to install Photini on Ubuntu
> sadly installs an old version.
> Can you guide me to a newer version of installation guide?

I assume you've been using the Ubuntu software installer app to install
Photini. This means that you should have all the dependencies installed.
You should be able to install the current version of Photini using 'pip'.

First you need to know if you're using Python 2 or Python 3. Open a
command window / terminal / console and type 'photini --version'. This
should tell you the Python version used by your current Photini
installation.

Now you can update Photini. First you need to remove the old version,
again using a command window:

'sudo apt remove photini'

Now use pip to install Photini. Use python2 or python3 as appropriate:

'sudo python2 -m pip install photini'
or
'sudo python3 -m pip install photini'

If you get a message that pip can't be found, then use the Ubuntu
software installer or apt to install it:

'sudo apt install python-pip'
or
'sudo apt install python3-pip'

I'm not an Ubuntu user so this might not be exactly right, but I hope
it's close enough that you will find it useful.

Klaus Wehrlin

Aug 11, 2020, 5:19:14 AM8/11/20
to pho...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jim,
Your installation seems to have gone without any hiccups - but the icon marked [Photini] has a "Settings" picture on it rather than your logo and if I click it nothing happens. The system Monitor does not show any activity :-(

"I assume you've been using the Ubuntu software installer app to install
Photini."
No, sadly Ubuntu does not seem to know you and there is no Photini link.

I am lost ...

Thanks anyway for trying to help a complete noob

Klaus

Jim Easterbrook

Aug 11, 2020, 5:58:18 AM8/11/20
to pho...@googlegroups.com
On 11/08/2020 10:19, Klaus Wehrlin wrote:
> Your installation seems to have gone without any hiccups - but the icon
> marked [Photini] has a "Settings" picture on it rather than your logo
> and if I click it nothing happens. The system Monitor does not show any
> activity :-(

You can test Photini by running it from a command console with 'python3
-m photini.editor' (or 'python2 -m photini.editor' if you are using
Python 2).

If that works then try running it from a console with the command 'photini'.

I've just tried installing with pip on a virtual machine running Ubuntu
20.04. The icon has a "settings" picture because Ubuntu is over fussy
about the format of the "desktop" file that defines the icon. However
when I click on the icon it still launches Photini.

Klaus Wehrlin

Aug 11, 2020, 6:14:30 AM8/11/20
to pho...@googlegroups.com
... and that is what happens:
klaus@klaus-ubuntu:~/Desktop$ python3
Python 3.8.2 (default, Jul 16 2020, 14:00:26)
[GCC 9.3.0] on linux
>>> -m photini.editor
  File "<stdin>", line 1
    -m photini.editor
       ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Hope this gives you some pointer where I do not understand what to do

Klaus Wehrlin

Aug 11, 2020, 6:19:55 AM8/11/20
to pho...@googlegroups.com
Just tried this:
klaus@klaus-ubuntu:~/Desktop$ python3-m photini.editor
python3-m: command not found
klaus@klaus-ubuntu:~/Desktop$ python3 -m photini.editor
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/runpy.py", line 193, in _run_module_as_main
    return _run_code(code, main_globals, None,
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/runpy.py", line 86, in _run_code
    exec(code, run_globals)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/dist-packages/photini/editor.py", line 36, in <module>
    from photini.editsettings import EditSettings
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/dist-packages/photini/editsettings.py", line 24, in <module>
    from photini.pyqt import (
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/dist-packages/photini/pyqt.py", line 74, in <module>
    import sip
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'sip'
klaus@klaus-ubuntu:~/Desktop$

Jim Easterbrook

Aug 11, 2020, 6:58:40 AM8/11/20
to pho...@googlegroups.com
Hi Klaus,

On 11/08/2020 11:19, Klaus Wehrlin wrote:
> Just tried this:
> klaus@klaus-ubuntu:~/Desktop$ python3 -m photini.editor

Yes, the command needs to be all on one line!

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/lib/python3.8/runpy.py", line 193, in _run_module_as_main
>     return _run_code(code, main_globals, None,
>   File "/usr/lib/python3.8/runpy.py", line 86, in _run_code
>     exec(code, run_globals)
>   File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/dist-packages/photini/editor.py", line
> 36, in <module>
>     from photini.editsettings import EditSettings
>   File
> "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/dist-packages/photini/editsettings.py", line
> 24, in <module>
>     from photini.pyqt import (
>   File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/dist-packages/photini/pyqt.py", line
> 74, in <module>
>     import sip
> ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'sip'
> klaus@klaus-ubuntu:~/Desktop$
Now we're getting somewhere. This suggests you don't have PyQt (one of
Photini's dependencies) installed correctly, even though you said you'd
already been using Photini.

Use a command window to install PyQt using apt:

'sudo apt install python3-pyqt5.qtwebengine'

Klaus Wehrlin

Aug 11, 2020, 8:18:56 AM8/11/20
to pho...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Jim,
Sorry you have to nurse me through like a (3/4 century old) baby :-D
I did install photini on this machine when it had Ubuntu 18.04, but must have buggered up something else at some time, so started from scratch with a clean install of Ubuntu 20.04. Guess that knowledge would be important ...
Now I get:

klaus@klaus-ubuntu:~/Desktop$ python3 -m photini.editor
ffmpeg not found

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/runpy.py", line 193, in _run_module_as_main
    return _run_code(code, main_globals, None,
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/runpy.py", line 86, in _run_code
    exec(code, run_globals)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/dist-packages/photini/editor.py", line 38, in <module>
    from photini.gi import gi_version
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/dist-packages/photini/gi.py", line 54, in <module>
    from gi.repository import GExiv2, GLib, GObject
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gi/importer.py", line 132, in load_module
    raise ImportError('cannot import name %s, '
ImportError: cannot import name GExiv2, introspection typelib not found
klaus@klaus-ubuntu:~/Desktop$

Jim Easterbrook

Aug 11, 2020, 8:44:04 AM8/11/20
to pho...@googlegroups.com
Hi Klaus,

On 11/08/2020 13:18, Klaus Wehrlin wrote:
> Sorry you have to nurse me through like a (3/4 century old) baby :-D

I'm 61. But I've been mucking about with computers for so long it feels
like second nature a lot of the time.

> I did install photini on this machine when it had Ubuntu 18.04, but must
> have buggered up something else at some time, so started from scratch
> with a clean install of Ubuntu 20.04. Guess that knowledge would be
> important ...

Indeed it is! Some of this won't be needed, but I'll try to be complete.
Someone else might also find it useful. Type the following commands in a
terminal / console window.

sudo apt install gir1.2-gexiv2-0.10 libgexiv2-2 python3-gi
sudo apt install python3-appdirs python3-requests python3-six

If you'd like to use Photini's spelling checker then do this:
sudo apt install gir1.2-gspell-1

If you want to use the Flickr uploader then do this:
sudo python3 -m pip install flickrapi requests_oauthlib keyring

If you want to import GPS data from a tracking app then do this:
sudo python3 -m pip install gpxpy

If you want to import photographs directly from a camera then do this:
sudo apt install python3-gphoto2

I hope this is enough info to get you going.

Klaus Wehrlin

Aug 11, 2020, 9:12:24 AM8/11/20
to pho...@googlegroups.com
Wow! Thank you Jim,
This is great! Now I can start learning this ;-)

All the best and thank you again
Klaus