PhoneGap usage survey

Dan Moore

Sep 18, 2013, 11:37:47 PM9/18/13
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks,

I thought it would be enlightening and interesting to survey the PhoneGap community for what platforms they target and what version of the software they use.

This is a 4 question survey, so it shouldn't take but 2 minutes of your time.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/17k0v9Oe1oB5vRDSIQ_sCrwY0xL5WsK3bdorah2jMOzw/viewform

I will summarize the results and post them back here.

Thanks.

--
Dan Moore
Developing with Cordova CLI

Dan Moore

Sep 20, 2013, 2:09:41 PM9/20/13
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks,

We have 10 responses so far--very interesting data that you'll see if you fill out the survey yourself.  I was surprised at the number of versions some people have in production.

--
Dan Moore
Developing with Cordova CLI
https://leanpub.com/developingwithcordovacli

WebSteve

Sep 23, 2013, 2:43:17 PM9/23/13
to phon...@googlegroups.com
My old versions are still selling and don't need updating. I won't fix what's not broken.

Dan Moore

Sep 23, 2013, 10:37:44 PM9/23/13
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Makes sense to me.

Mind if I ask if you are worried about platform upgrades (ios, Android, etc) forcing you to upgrade your phonegap apps?

Thanks.

--
Dan Moore
Developing with Cordova CLI
https://leanpub.com/developingwithcordovacli

WebSteve

Sep 24, 2013, 10:38:31 AM9/24/13
to phon...@googlegroups.com
My apps are super-simple, using 1 or no plugins. Half of them are finished and I don't need to revisit. The others are updated as needed, such as when I needed to add a larger splash so they filled the screen when the Retina version came out. In general, I keep the same PG version unless I had a reason to upgrade. It is curiosity more than need to upgrade that gets me learning the newer versions and writing about them in my blog. My blog seldom ever covers plugins because I don't use them myself beyond inAppBrowser or the like.

Regards,
Steve Husting

ScottP

Sep 24, 2013, 11:15:37 AM9/24/13
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Definitely agree with Steve.  If I don't have to uprade my cordova version, I won't.  I have had to go in a couple times and modify my viewcontroller and appdelegate files for a couple of critical issues due to iOS version updates (i.e. back with iOS 5 - the whole web database debacle - had to switch to the native sqlite plugin.  also with iOS 7, the keyboard shrinking the view - had to correct that.)
I was on the cusp of upgrading to cordova 3.0,  but found that I can get by with the version I'm runnning.  There wasn't a big enough "improvement" to my app to use the 3.0.  In the end, the customer downloading the app doesn't care if you are running the latest cordova/phonegap - they just want and an app that works how it should and looks pretty.
You asked Steve if he is worried about platform upgrade - yes, but so far, I've just been able to patch my cordova version without upgrading.
Scott

Dan Moore

Sep 24, 2013, 10:37:55 PM9/24/13
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to both of you--good perspective from folks who've been using PG for longer than I have.

--
Dan Moore
Developing with Cordova CLI

Dan Moore

Sep 27, 2013, 10:54:10 PM9/27/13
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Hey folks,

Last call for the survey.  I'm going to shut it down on Sunday (want to close it before 3.1 is released and makes the results obsolete :) .

> This is a 4 question survey, so it shouldn't take but 2 minutes of your time.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/17k0v9Oe1oB5vRDSIQ_sCrwY0xL5WsK3bdorah2jMOzw/viewform

> I will summarize the results and post them back here.

Thanks!

--
Dan Moore
Developing with Cordova CLI

Dan Moore

Oct 8, 2013, 9:01:01 PM10/8/13
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks,

Just wanted to let you know that I posted the results of this survey on my blog.

"What device platforms do you target?" The vast majority of respondents target iOS and, to a slightly lesser extent, Android. There are a smattering of other platforms being targetted.

Thanks to all 30 participants.