Scripting Phon commands

Nina R Benway

Sep 17, 2021, 3:06:39 PM9/17/21
to ph...@googlegroups.com

Hi Greg,

Yvan suggested that I pass this question along to you. I’m wondering if Phon menu commands are scriptable, via the PhonShell, and if there is documentation of the syntax that I can use as a reference when writing such scripts.

Thanks!

Nina

________________________

Nina R Benway MS CCC-SLP
PhD Candidate

Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders

Interdisciplinary Graduate Neuroscience Concentration
Syracuse University
NYS Licensed, ASHA Certified Speech-Language Pathologist
NYS Certified Teacher of the Gifted and Talented

nrgslp.github.io

Greg Hedlund

Sep 20, 2021, 5:39:53 AM9/20/21
to 'Nina R Benway' via Phon

Hello Nina,

You can indeed script Phon using PhonShell, however it is not like Praat in the way the scripting works.  Praats scripts are, as you have mentioned, commands tied to menu entries in the application.  PhonShell instead provides a full scripting environment with access to everything in the runtime classpath of the application. You may choose to use either JavaScript or Groovy for the language. There is documentation at https://www.phon.ca/phon-manual/tools/phonshell.html outline what variables are available inside a PhonShell context (the most important one being the 'window' variable) as well as API documentation available at https://www.phon.ca/apidocs/.

I can help with getting you started, but I would need to know more about what you are trying to do.  Please contact my personal email and we can continue this discussion.

Cheers,

-Greg