POP TIPS: Time to protect your figs and pomergranates!

Phil Forsyth

Nov 23, 2020, 8:22:07 AM11/23/20
to ph...@googlegroups.com
Philly Orchardists,
Last week's hard frost finally put most figs into dormancy and so we recommend everyone take measures to protect their figs and pomegranates over the next couple weeks. And keep your eye on the weather for fig-damaging temps in the teens!

The simplest technique for winter protection of young figs is to tie all the branches as close together as possible, surround the tree with some fencing, and fill the fencing with fall leaves, straw, or other available materials to provide insulation.  Plenty of fall leaves to be had right now- check your neighborhood on trash day if you don't have enough on site!  If available, a tarp can also be placed on top.  It is okay if some of the branches stick out.  If we have a mild winter, those unprotected branches will be fine; if we get a harsh one, you'll simply cut them off in the spring after growth begins.

BHS fig protection.jpg
Fig surrounded by fencing and stuffed with fall leaves and straw as an insulator.

Another easy method for protection is to tie the branches together and surround the whole thing with an old carpet.  Layers of burlap, row fabric, or even old bedsheets can also be used, although make sure to attach them securely so they don't blow away.   For older, bigger figs, you may need to wrap individual trunks/branches with this kind of insulation to protect them.

Penn Park fig wrapping.jpg
Wrapping figs with fabric can help with insulation and protection from winter winds.  A south facing wall also helps to create a warmer micro-climate!

At the very least, pile mulch or other material around the base of the tree to protect the roots (NOTE: this will keep the fig from dying altogether, but may not preserve your harvest for next year).

For extreme cold protection (up to zone 5), some growers actually bury their figs for the winter.  A fig "grave" is dug on one side, then the roots are severed on the opposite side and the whole plant is lowered into the ground and covered with the excavated soil!

See here for our full article on growing figs in cold climates:

As always, please don't hesitate to contact us with any questions.

Phil Forsyth, Co-Executive Director
Philadelphia Orchard Project
Pronouns: he/him

"65 community orchards, 1415 fruit trees, and growing!"

Phil Forsyth

Dec 11, 2020, 2:29:24 PM12/11/20
to ph...@googlegroups.com
Philly Orchardists,
Looks like some possibility of fig-damaging temperatures on Thursday and Friday next week!  Just a final reminder to wrap or otherwise protect your plants if you haven't gotten to it yet.  See original email below for more info.

Phil Forsyth, Co-Executive Director
Philadelphia Orchard Project
Pronouns: he/him

Help POP grow in 2021: make a gift to our annual campaign!

Phil Forsyth

Dec 6, 2021, 5:52:29 PM12/6/21
to ph...@googlegroups.com
Philly Orchardists,
Although some trees are still holding onto leaves, most figs have finally gone into dormancy and so we recommend everyone take measures to protect their figs and pomegranates over the next couple weeks. There are still no fig-damaging temps below 20 degrees in the extended forecast, but keep an eye out!

[...]

Phil Forsyth

Jan 7, 2022, 9:34:52 AM1/7/22
to ph...@googlegroups.com
All, just a quick heads up that the current forecast is for fig-damaging temperatures on Tuesday night next week.  If you haven't wrapped or protected your figs yet, consider doing so now!  See original email below for details on protection strategies.

NOTE: Figs are hardy to around 17 degrees F, below that resulting in dieback.  Established figs won't be killed by these temperatures, but upper branches may die back.  Unprotected figs may lose their crop in the next year, although some quick fruiting figs (like Chicago Hardy, Celeste, Brown Turkey, etc) can freeze to the ground, regrow, and still produce some crop.