POP Communications Director

Kim Jordan

May 26, 2023, 3:55:08 PM5/26/23
to Philadelphia Orchard Group
Sorry for those of you receiving this notice more than once! We hope you'll share this opportunity widely.

The Philadelphia Orchard Project is hiring our first Communications Director for a full-time (37.5 hours per week) hybrid role. We are looking for someone to contribute fresh perspectives to POP’s leadership team and amplify our profile and impact across the city as we continue to expand community-based food resources, educational resources, and access to green spaces. We are excited about upcoming opportunities to implement the city’s Tree Plan and Urban Agriculture plan, and exploring the ways in which POP can advance goals of environmental and food justice.

We are seeking someone who can lead critical communication, fundraising and leadership initiatives, including:
- Telling our story to supporters, partners, and volunteers
- Helping us better share our educational resources
- Get more Philly residents engaged in orchard care
- Making sure we meet our fundraising goals to ensure we operate sustainably
- Supporting our staff in their professional development and growth
- Cultivating relationships with our community partners
- Helping us implement the diversity, equity, inclusion and justice-based goals of our most recent strategic plan

And, importantly, we are seeking someone who is interested in transitioning into joining POP’s executive leadership team by serving as a co-executive director as a next step in their career development. This shared leadership model that POP first implemented in late 2019 has so far provided support and stability that allowed us to weather the worst of the pandemic, and now it’s time to grow this team further. POP will support professional development opportunities to advance career growth and readiness in preparation for this role. Past professional development opportunities have included training in orchard care, participation in PASA’s annual meeting, permaculture design training, but we are supportive of a range of opportunities!

The ideal candidate doesn’t need to be an expert in agriculture or horticulture, but must have knowledge of Philadelphia and its neighborhoods. We seek to diversify POP’s leadership team and strongly encourage applications from people in underrepresented or marginalized groups, including but not limited to Black, Indigenous, or People of Color.

Please see the linked position description for more details about the role, qualifications, salary, and benefits. If this role intrigues you but doesn’t perfectly line up with your resume, we encourage you to apply anyway.

To apply: Please email a cover letter and resume to Co-Executive Director, Kim Jordan (k...@phillyorchards.org), using the subject line “Your Last Name: Communications Director.” Applications will start being reviewed on June 26, 2023 by our hiring committee which consists of POP staff and board members. Three references and prior work samples will be requested from those selected for a second-round interview. We aim to offer the position by July 31, 2023 for an anticipated start of early-to-mid August. Please, no phone calls or mailed applications.

Thank you!
Kim