POP TIPS: March Orchard Care

Phil Forsyth

Mar 2, 2022, 10:52:22 AM3/2/22
to ph...@googlegroups.com
Dear Philly Orchardists,
Seems the weather has turned and spring flowers are soon on their way!

March is a critical month for completing a variety of orchard care tasks.  Please check out our POP Monthly Orchard Task List for recommended maintenance activities to complete this month (the Feb/March list is also attached below).

Here is some more detail on some of the key tasks for March:

Join in a virtual POPCORE training session

We had a great turnout last night for our virtual POPCORE 1 workshop on Eco-Orchard Care & Pruning.  There is still space to join us for upcoming Tuesday sessions, pre-registration required:

Finish winter pruning

Winter pruning season is almost over!  We generally aim to complete all pruning by mid March, before plants break dormancy.  Here's the link to POP's new pruning video series if you missed out on our hands-on workshops:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlZJgAop2db036xFPgbg4OTrKLndo3xiO

POP's fruit tree pruning guide:

https://www.phillyorchards.org/2016/01/21/pop-pruning-guide-fruit-trees/

POP's guide for berries and vines:

https://www.phillyorchards.org/2016/03/08/pruning-bushes-brambles-and-vines/

Cut back dead herbaceous material

We prefer to leave the dead stalks of our herbaceous companion plants through the winter months, as they can provide habitat for beneficial insects and food for birds.  Mid March is good timing time to cut them back and compost them to make room for new spring growth.

image.png
Any dead herbaceous material left to overwinter can now be cut back!

Pest and Disease Monitoring & Identification

While most pests and diseases are still dormant in early March, it is a critical time for application of some key holistic and organic sprays and other management strategies.  By late March, as orchard plants break dormancy, disease spores begin to spread.  Some of the key management tasks to consider at this time:

Apply dormant oil sprays.  Early March is good timing to spray oil for control of aphids, scale, red mites, spidermites, pear psylla, white flies and other soft bodied insects. Dormant oils should be applied to the trees before bud break in late winter or early spring.  More info:

https://www.phillyorchards.org/2015/03/31/dormanthorticultural-oil-sprays/

image.png
If you had challenges with scale, aphids, or other soft-bellied insects last year, consider a late winter application of dormant oil.

Apply compost tea.  In late winter to early spring, apply as a soil soak to boost soil life and fertility to boost tree health and resilience.  More info on compost tea applications:

https://www.phillyorchards.org/2015/04/27/compost-tea-sprays-for-orchards/

If you don't have the capacity to brew compost tea, products including Effective Microbes can also serve this purpose (stay tuned for a new POP blog post in the works!).

Apply copper/sulfur fungicides.  We generally recommend this only as a last resort for plants that have suffered severe crop loss from fungal diseases (like brown rot, black rot, mildew, etc) the previous year.  Apply just before or after bloom.  More info on sulfur and copper sprays:

https://www.phillyorchards.org/2016/03/14/organic-sulfur-spray-and-early-spring-management/

Biofungicides like Regalia and Serenade may also be applied during this period for improved disease control.

Cultivate soil under your fruit trees.  For control of insects that overwinter in the ground, including oriental fruit moth, codling moth, plum curculio, tree borers, etc.  Use a hoe or other implement to cultivate the top few inches of soil in late winter or early spring under the canopy of your trees.  An even more effective option is to run chicken or poultry through your orchard space:

https://www.phillyorchards.org/2015/10/06/poultry-in-orchards/

Remove the last mummified fruits from your trees before spring weather hits and they begin to spread disease spores!

Uwrap Your Figs and Pomegranates

By mid March, it is generally safe to unwrap your figs, pomegranates, and other tender plants from their winter protection.  Join us for our Figs for Philly workshop on March 26 to learn more about growing and propagating figs in our cold climate!

image.png
Cornelian cherries are among the first orchard plants to bloom, usually in flower by mid March.

Across the city, buds are beginning to swell- enjoy the annual orchard flower show in weeks to come!

Phil Forsyth, Co-Executive Director
Philadelphia Orchard Project
Pronouns: he/him

POP-Monthly-Orchard-Task-Sheet FEB-MAR.pdf

Phil Forsyth

Mar 2, 2023, 11:14:57 AM3/2/23
to Philadelphia Orchard Group
Dear Philly Orchardists,
Seems spring is already here, with some early blooming orchard plants already starting to flower!

Cornelian cherries are among the first orchard plants to bloom, already in flower this year!

March is a critical month for completing a variety of orchard care tasks.  Please check out our POP Monthly Orchard Task List for recommended maintenance activities to complete this month (the Feb/March list is also attached below).

Here is some more detail on some of the key tasks for March:

Join in a virtual POPCORE training session

POPCORE 1 and 2 are completed (watch on POP's youtube here), but there is still space to join us for upcoming Wednesday sessions, pre-registration required:

Finish winter pruning

Winter pruning season is almost over!  We generally aim to complete all pruning by mid March, before plants break dormancy.  We have one last workshop this weekend:

Sat 3/4 Juntos Podamos! (pruning workshop for Spanish speakers only, please register in advance)

Here's the link to POP's pruning video series if you missed out on our hands-on workshops:

We prefer to leave the dead stalks of our herbaceous companion plants through the winter months, as they can provide habitat for beneficial insects and food for birds.  Mid March is good timing to cut them back and compost them to make room for new spring growth.

[...]

Apply holistic sprays like compost tea or effective microbes.  In late winter to early spring, apply as a soil soak to boost soil life and fertility to boost tree health and resilience.

If you don't have the capacity to brew compost tea, products including Effective Microbes can also serve this purpose:

https://www.phillyorchards.org/2022/04/04/em-for-orchards-are-effective-microorganisms-effective/

The above link also includes a full recipe for Michael Phillips' holistic sprays!

Apply fungicides.  We generally recommend copper/sulfur fungicides only as a last resort for plants that have suffered severe crop loss from fungal diseases (like brown rot, black rot, mildew, etc) the previous year.  Apply just before or after bloom.  More info on sulfur and copper sprays:

https://www.phillyorchards.org/2016/03/14/organic-sulfur-spray-and-early-spring-management/

Biofungicides are a less harsh solution.  Read more about options like Regalia and Serenade  for improved disease control:

https://www.phillyorchards.org/2022/04/04/em-for-orchards-are-effective-microorganisms-effective/

Cultivate soil under your fruit trees.  For control of insects that overwinter in the ground, including oriental fruit moth, codling moth, plum curculio, tree borers, etc.  Use a hoe or other implement to cultivate the top few inches of soil in late winter or early spring under the canopy of your trees.  An even more effective option is to run chicken or poultry through your orchard space:

https://www.phillyorchards.org/2015/10/06/poultry-in-orchards/

Remove the last mummified fruits from your trees before spring weather hits and they begin to spread disease spores!

Uwrap Your Figs and Pomegranates

By mid March, it is generally safe to unwrap your figs, pomegranates, and other tender plants from their winter protection.  Join us for our Figs for Philly workshop on March 25 to learn more about growing and propagating figs in our cold climate!

BG apple flowers.jpg
Enjoy the annual orchard flower show in weeks to come!

POP-Monthly-Orchard-Task-Sheet FEB-MAR.pdf

Phil Forsyth

Mar 4, 2024, 9:01:36 AMMar 4
to Philadelphia Orchard Group
Dear Philly Orchardists,
Seems spring is already here, with temps in the 60's and some early blooming orchard plants already starting to flower!

Cornelian cherries are among the first orchard plants to bloom, already in flower at some locations this year!

March is a critical month for completing a variety of orchard care tasks.  Please check out our POP Monthly Orchard Task List for recommended maintenance activities to complete this month (the Feb/March list is also attached below).

Here is some more detail on some of the key tasks for March:

Finish winter pruning

Winter pruning season is almost over!  We generally aim to complete all pruning by mid March, before plants break dormancy.  Check out our POP video series on pruning, read over POP's newly updated pruning guide (in English and Spanish).  Or join us to do some hands-on fig pruning and propagation at our upcoming workshop:

Figs for Philly Workshop @ The Woodlands

Saturday, 3/16 @ 10am - noon

Also note that PHS's McLean Tool Library has re-opened for the season and has various pruning equipment, including an orchard ladder, polesaws, loppers, etc.

Cut back dead herbaceous material

We prefer to leave the dead stalks of our herbaceous companion plants through the winter months, as they can provide habitat for beneficial insects and food for birds.  Late March is good timing to cut them back and compost them to make room for new spring growth.

image.png
Any dead herbaceous material left to overwinter can be cut back in early Spring!

[...]

By mid March, it is generally safe to unwrap your figs, pomegranates, and other tender plants from their winter protection.  Join us for our Figs for Philly workshop on March 16 to learn more about growing and propagating figs in our cold climate!

BG apple flowers.jpg