POP TIPS: spring holistic sprays

Phil Forsyth

Mar 22, 2023, 8:43:56 AM3/22/23
to Philadelphia Orchard Group

Philly Orchardists,

Happy spring!

Just a reminder that now is good timing to begin applying holistic orchard sprays to boost plant health and resilience to disease. Holistic sprays may be composed of compost tea, effective microbes, neem oil, and/or other ingredients. For best effectiveness, apply up to 4 times in the spring (after bud break, at first pink of flowers, after petal fall, and two weeks after petal fall).

You can read more about holistic sprays, including recipe and application times, on Michael Phillips' website:

https://www.groworganicapples.com/organic-orcharding-articles/holistic-spray-ingredients.php

POP's blog post on Effective Microbes also includes a holistic spray recipe:

https://www.phillyorchards.org/2022/04/04/em-for-orchards-are-effective-microorganisms-effective/

Depending on specific pest or disease problems, some orchardists might also consider other organic sprays including the ones listed below.

Check out POP’s guides to orchard applications of:

Compost Tea Sprays

        • Effective Microbes

        • Biofungicides: Serenade and Regalia

Neem Oil Sprays

Kaolin Clay Sprays

Sulfur Sprays and Early Spring Management Techniques

Pyrethrin Orchard Sprays

Bt: Bacillus thuringiensis Orchard Sprays

Please also check out our youtube channel for videos on:

POPCORE 2: Eco-Orchard Pest & Disease Management

Spring Orchard Care: Neem Oil Sprays

If you want to avoid or minimize spraying in your orchard, starting with a good design can also help!  Please consider joining us for our final virtual POPCORE workshop next Wednesday:

VIRTUAL POPCORE 4 WORKSHOP 3/29:
ORCHARD & FOOD FOREST DESIGN

Learn about POP’s approach to design and implementation of urban orchards and food forests, including plant selection, spacing, layout, and more.

Join us for the last in the 4-part series of POP’s Community Orchard Resilience Education (POPCORE) course!  This workshop series is led by POP staff and is offered in a virtual format.

6:30 – 8pm: Virtual POPCORE 4 Workshop

  • Orchard & Food Forest Design Process
  • Plant Selection, Spacing, and Layout
  • Summary of Community Design Process
  • Practical Steps for Implementation

POPCORE combines many elements of orchard stewardship, plant knowledge and ecosystem design that POP has learned over the past 15 years.  This four part series is intended to grow the knowledge, skillset, and self-reliance of our community orchard partners and volunteers, resulting in happier, healthier, and more productive community orchards.

Pre-registration required!

Phil Forsyth, Co-Executive Director
Philadelphia Orchard Project
Pronouns: he/him