Back to school POP Orchard Lesson Plans!

Phil Forsyth

Aug 29, 2022, 11:59:02 AM8/29/22
to Philadelphia Orchard Group
Philly Orchardists,

With school starting up again, wanted to share some of the orchard-based lesson plans and other educational materials that POP has developed over the years:

1. The POP Seasonal Activity Guide is a a Pennsylvania-state standards-based set of of fruit-themed, cultural foodways, and food preservation lessons for students & small groups (grades 6-12) focused on common & native fruits of POP orchards and the city's local bioregion:

The guide is free and downloadable in 4 parts!

2.  GREEN READS FOR KIDS is a guide to 20 books for young readers (K-6) on orchards, orchard fruit, community gardens, food growing and cultural foodways, compiled by POP, The Free Library, and Historic Fair Hill:

This set of lesson materials is for use with upper elementary through high school students — including a slideshow, info sheets on common plants of the orchard (trees, shrubs/vines, herbs) and the moth and butterfly species they attract, along with data tracking sheets:

4. You can find a fuller range of POP curriculum resources developed over the years on our website here:

and here:

We hope that you will make use of some of this wonderful content in classrooms, youth programs, home-schooling and other settings this year and in the future.   Our sincere gratitude to former Education Director Alyssa Schimmel, as well as past interns and school partners for all their work in creating them!

Best, Phil

Phil Forsyth, Co-Executive Director
Philadelphia Orchard Project
Pronouns: he/him

phil

Aug 30, 2023, 2:55:25 PM8/30/23
to Philadelphia Orchard Group
Philly Orchardists,

Every year at around this time, we like to send a reminder about some the orchard-based lesson plans and other educational materials that POP has developed over the years:

[...]

We hope that you will make use of some of this wonderful content in classrooms, youth programs, home-schooling and other settings this year and in the future.   Our sincere gratitude to Alyssa Schimmel, as well as past interns and school partners for all their work in creating them!