City council hearing on the Urban Ag Plan: Wednesday May 8

Kim Jordan

Apr 30, 2024, 12:55:31 PMApr 30
to Philadelphia Orchard Group

Hi folks,

Last week, City Council passed a resolution yesterday to authorize a hearing about the Urban Ag Plan, which will be taking place on Wednesday May 8 in the morning. We are sending out this request to invite our community partners and others who care about community gardens, farms, and orchards to participate through showing up at the hearing, or providing written testimony in support of the Urban Ag Plan.

What: We will be hosting a hearing on what city government can do to support and protect urban agriculture. POP co-director Kim Jordan will be providing official testimony as part of the hearing. Other garden groups including Norris Square Neighborhood Project, Neighborhood Gardens Trust, Public Interest Law Center, and PHS. Mill Creek Farm and Urban Creators may also provide testimony.

The goals of this hearing are to:

  • Show councilmembers, city officials, and the press that urban agriculture is happening across the city and that there is wide support for it!

  • Push for more funding and support from city government for Urban Agriculture, specifically:

    • Increase funding for the Food Justice Initiative, which provides grants to gardens for supplies, including tools, water lines, sheds.

    • Increase funding and support from agencies like Parks and Rec to urban agriculture.

    • Push the city to protect gardens and facilitate ownership of garden land by gardeners

Any member of the public can make a comment at the end of the hearing. It will be a great opportunity to comment in front of elected officials, and for the public record!

People can speak in public comment for up to three minutes.

When: The hearing is on Wednesday, May 8th at 10 AM. It can take a while to get through security, so we ask that folks arrive at City Hall between 9:30-9:45 AM. The length of the hearing can vary but it could go until 1PM.

If you cannot attend in person and are interested, you can watch online at PHLcouncil.com/watch.

Where: City Hall, room 400. The main public entrance is on the Northeast corner.

How: If you are interested in giving public comment, or have any questions please email glen.f...@phila.gov and rgittl...@pubintlaw.org

mayhearing.png