POP TIPS: early bloom warning!

Phil Forsyth

Feb 24, 2023, 9:50:20 AM2/24/23
to Philadelphia Orchard Group
Philly Orchardists,
You may have noticed that we're expected to get a freeze tonight, maybe as low as 25 degrees.  While this is actually a perfectly normal temperature for this time of year, the problem is that many trees are way ahead of schedule and some are even budding out already (especially apricots and Asian plums).  Although this has been a recurring challenge in recent years, we have definitely never seen so many plants so far along this early!  With continuing climate change and undpredictable weather patterns, this will likely be a growing problem for fruit production in the region, as well as possible deficits in chill hours resulting in poor blooming.

Apricots budding out at Bartrams Garden this week.

Some quick facts:

1. For the most part, your plants will be fine (even figs can take temps down to 20 degrees).
2. The flowers of any fruit trees and berries in bloom right now may be at risk, meaning we could have some loss or reduced crops on those plants this year.

What can you do to protect blooms at risk?  There are a few options that may help:

1. Commercial orchardists sometimes spray their blooming trees with water in these situations.  Believe it or not, ice is actually a very good insulator (stays at 32 degrees).  Of course, the flowers need to be wet at the time when temps actually turn to freezing, so timing this can be tricky.
2. Cover with remay or other fabric.  Very challenging to do for a tree, but you might be able to wrap a few branches.
3. Hang old incandescent holiday lights in your trees (plugged in of course).  Unfortunately the new-fangled LED's don't generate much if any heat.

None of these is guaranteed to work, but could help depending on just how cold it actually gets.

Phil Forsyth, Co-Executive Director
Philadelphia Orchard Project
Pronouns: he/him