POP is hiring for two new positions!

Phil Forsyth

Sep 26, 2022, 4:22:40 PM9/26/22
to Philadelphia Orchard Group
Philly Orchardists,
POP is hiring a new Community Outreach Coordinator and new Orchard Assistant to start in January.  Please see details below and share with anyone who might be a good fit!

Phil Forsyth, Co-Executive Director
Philadelphia Orchard Project
Pronouns: he/him

Text over an aerial image of the POP Learning Orchard reading ''15 Years of Growing Together''

POP is growing and looking for two new team members to join our team starting in early 2023. Could you be that person, or do you know someone who might be interested? Read more details and view the full job postings below.

The Community Outreach Coordinator is a new part-time position that will report directly to one of POP's Co-Executive Director and work closely with the Education Director and other staff and board. This part-time, salaried position will average 25 hours/week to start, with room for growth in the role. The Community Outreach Coordinator will be involved in the following POP activities:

  • Community Outreach: deepen relationships with existing partner organizations; coordinate neighborhood outreach programs; attend events; assist in communications
  • Education Program: assist with workshops, tours, and educational programs; research and draft blog posts
  • Orchard Support: assist in hands-on support of community orchards

Read full Community Outreach Coordinator job description here for more information on role, qualifications, salary, and benefits.

The Orchard Assistant is a new position that will report directly to one of POP's Co-Executive Director and work closely with the Orchard Manager and other staff and board. This part-time, salaried position will average 20 hours/week.

The Orchard Assistant will be involved in the following POP activities:

  • Orchard support: assist in providing hands-on support of community orchards across the city including the POP Learning Orchard at The Woodlands
  • Assist with other programs and events as needed

Read full Orchard Assistant job description here for more information on role, qualifications, salary, and benefits.

The deadline to apply for both roles is 5pm on Monday, October 17, 2022. Please, no phone calls or mailed applications.

A hand reaching into a bin of pawpaws of varying hues of yellow, green and brown
Asian pears (aka ''apple pears'' on a branch
A pile of ripe purple figs

Why join the POP team? A few reasons to consider...

  • The opportunity to learn! This means, for example, an annual budget for professional development for every team member; team field trips; opportunities to research & write about orchard-related topics of interest; and plenty of in-person or online trainings and workshops (through POP or other local orgs!).
  • A varied and flexible schedule! You will undertake a variety of tasks that may take place on a computer from home or POP's office, at POP's nursery or Learning Orchard, at a partner site for an orchard work day, or at a community event.
  • Work-life balance! We honor the schedules and needs of our team members to make sure that everyone has time for family, rest, and other life commitments.
  • A dedicated and caring team! Our team is small but mighty and highly collaborative. We support one another, our 67 orchard partners, our volunteers, and our wider community
  • We do impactful work! Empowering people to grow food is a pretty amazing experience. You'll learn how to propagate, prune, and manage pest and disease problems for a range of perennial food crops (and some non-perennial plants too!), like the pawpaws, Asian pears, and figs shown above. Best of all, you'll get to share with others what you know and spread that knowledge around the city.
FacebookTwitter InstagramYouTube

Our Contact Information
Philadelphia Orchard Project
4000 Woodland Ave