GoFundMe for POP Orchard Director Alkebu-Lan

Phil Forsyth

Jun 14, 2021, 10:44:09 AM6/14/21
to ph...@googlegroups.com
Dear Philly Orchardists,
POP Orchard Director Alkebu-Lan Marcus is currently without a vehicle for transporting his family and for transporting tools and materials to POP events.  We are sharing his GoFundMe campaign to raise funds to purchase a truck that will meet these immediate needs.  Many of you know and love Alkebu-Lan as we do and I hope some will consider supporting him in this challenging time:

New truck for Alkebu-Lan

$5,344 raised of $10,000 goal

  • 0 shares
  • 51 followers

Alkebu-Lan Marcus is organizing this fundraiser.

Hi my name is Alkebu-Lan Marcus. I'm 27 years old and have two amazing children, and was born and raised in Philadelphia. In 2016, I was arrested during the Freddie Grey uprising and that lead me on a journey to find peace, love, and synchronicity (black liberation), which lead me to food, one of the building blocks of life here on this planet.

Since then I ran Mill Creek Urban farm for 3 years and now I'm at the Philadelphia Orchard Project. I know you may be asking why Mill Creek and POP can't get me a truck, it's because they are small nonprofits that don't have staff vehicles available. I work with community organizations and neighbors all over the city but primarily in West Philadelphia, where I live. I have grown thousands of pounds of food, introduced people to new things and helped them remember our role on this planet.

57713397_1623674307103761_r.jpegI pride myself on being a farmer, and it is hard to do without a truck to travel to community gardens and orchards, and transport tools and supplies. I just want to be able to provide for my kids, educate the community and grow food. Without a truck I'm stranded, unable to do the work in communities that keeps me inspired and motivated. This truck will help me grow to become what I call "the man with the green hands" and to also keep creating magic and producing life. I know times are hard but I appreciate anything and every little bit helps.

57713397_1623645112236521_r.jpeg

My goal is 10,000 because I want a vehicle that can both carry my family and carry my work. There are some links below that will show you my journey so far.

"Everything grows better together" so help me grow.

https://www.workers.org/2015/10/22388/

https://www.facebook.com/JoyceEvansFox29/videos/urban-farm-needs-your-help/1830730647227400/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BoiUnXXlk69/?hl=en

https://seedkeeping.tumblr.com/post/616733403195277312/alkebu-lan-marcus-right-has-grown-an-heirloom

https://www.platformmagazine.me/stories/farmer-father-organizer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lR-eq3VZK8

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/19/dining/pawpaw-climate-change.html

57713397_1623645148310634_r.jpeg

Phil Forsyth, Co-Executive Director
Philadelphia Orchard Project
Pronouns: he/him

"65 community orchards, 1472 fruit trees, and growing!"